Old 04-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
JenniferMelberg
Casting On

Reading a Chart and Pattern Confusion
Help!
I have never knitted from a chart before. Although I think I can figure this one out. However, I don't get how to begin. It says to cast on 8 stitches. Then it says to start the right side by casting on 8 stitches. I thought at first it meant to cast on 16 stitches but then only work on 8 of them until I get to the left side. But, the 8th and 9th cast on stitches would still be connected. Do I cast 8 stitches onto one needle and 8 stitches onto the other needle? Although that doesn't seem right. How do I cast on two sets of 8 stitches? Thank you!!
http://www.sugarncream.com/pattern.php?PID=6927
JenniferMelberg is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,500 Times in 3,175 Posts
Cute pattern!
It's not very clear from the wording but you can cast on with two separate ends of yarn, one for the right bottom and one for the left. It might be even easier to cast on 8sts, work the right bottom sts until the instructions to break yarn and place the sts on a spare needle. Then cast on another 8sts and work the left bottom up to the joining row.
JenniferMelberg (04-23-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
MGM
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by JenniferMelberg View Post
Help!
I have never knitted from a chart before. Although I think I can figure this one out. However, I don't get how to begin. It says to cast on 8 stitches. Then it says to start the right side by casting on 8 stitches. I thought at first it meant to cast on 16 stitches but then only work on 8 of them until I get to the left side. But, the 8th and 9th cast on stitches would still be connected. Do I cast 8 stitches onto one needle and 8 stitches onto the other needle? Although that doesn't seem right. How do I cast on two sets of 8 stitches? Thank you!!
http://www.sugarncream.com/pattern.php?PID=6927
Hey Jennifer, what a cute pattern! It appears that you will cast on 8 stitches with one length of the main color yarn and then leave these stitches on the needle but not actually work on them until the section labeled Left Bottom.

So if you look at the chart, you will cast on Left Bottom, then cast on Right Bottom with a different piece of yarn and work Right Bottom for 3 rows, then pick back up with those first stitches you cast on for Left Bottom and work 3 rows, then join Left and Right Bottom together to make those little bumps at the flower end of the apple (you know, where the apple tastes the sweetest...yum!).

I hope this helps you understand what the pattern is saying.

Post any other questions you might have and someone here will help you...and be sure to post a picture of your finished apple!

MGM
I'm also HookedOnNeedles on Flickr!
And you can find me on Facebook too!
MGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,248 Times in 2,744 Posts
What everyone else said. Don't forget to add the 6 sts in between the two bottom sections (that's what I'd be likely to do). It's cute!

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
JenniferMelberg (04-23-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
MGM
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
What everyone else said. Don't forget to add the 6 sts in between the two bottom sections (that's what I'd be likely to do). It's cute!
Excellent tip, GG! I would forget about those too, and then wonder why my apple looked so wonky!

MGM
The Following User Says Thank You to MGM For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (04-21-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #6
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

MGM, I've messed up sweater fronts somehow, someway in a similar manner. Experience: Sometimes acquiring it sucks major big time.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:40 PM   #7
MGM
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
MGM, I've messed up sweater fronts somehow, someway in a similar manner. Experience: Sometimes acquiring it sucks major big time.
Yes, but see how much wiser you are now!

MGM
Old 04-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #8
JenniferMelberg
Casting On

Originally Posted by MGM View Post
Hey Jennifer, what a cute pattern! It appears that you will cast on 8 stitches with one length of the main color yarn and then leave these stitches on the needle but not actually work on them until the section labeled Left Bottom.

So if you look at the chart, you will cast on Left Bottom, then cast on Right Bottom with a different piece of yarn and work Right Bottom for 3 rows, then pick back up with those first stitches you cast on for Left Bottom and work 3 rows, then join Left and Right Bottom together to make those little bumps at the flower end of the apple (you know, where the apple tastes the sweetest...yum!).

I hope this helps you understand what the pattern is saying.

Post any other questions you might have and someone here will help you...and be sure to post a picture of your finished apple!

MGM
Thanks. I am actually making three of these for my 4-year-old daughter's preschool teachers for Christmas. I know it is only April, but I work part-time, and time flies so I am starting early. I will try to remember to post a picture when I am done.
The Following User Says Thank You to JenniferMelberg For This Useful Post:
MGM (04-23-2013)
Old 05-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
JenniferMelberg
Casting On

I have made it to Row 7. Confused again. It says to cast on one stitch for rows 7 to 14 and work in Seed Stitch. However, if I am only casting on one stitch at a time doesn't that mess up the seed stitch pattern? I am doing the purl in the knits and knit in the purls but it is not following the pattern because I am one stitch off. I am getting a ribbed pattern rather than the seed stitch pattern.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #10
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

If you're getting ribbing you're knitting the knits and purling the purls. When you turn your work after casting on the new stitch, look at the 2nd stitch, the one just after the new cast on. If it's a knit, then you'll knit your first stitch and purl the 2nd. If it's a purl, you'll purl the 1st stitch and knit the 2nd. That will put you back in pattern...or keep you there.

Depending on their size, these would make adorable coasters.

I understand about starting early. I intend to do my Christmas sewing during the summer.