Old 04-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #11
Lizars1735
1st Leg of the Journey

Carol, I am in awe of your sock knitting abilities! These next pairs look great so far. I have yet to start my second pair which will be only 2 at a time, toe up. I can't get myself to cast on. Something about that really thin yarn and skinny needles.......
Lizars1735 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #12
Woodi
Turning the Heel

It never occurred to me to unravel sweaters and knit socks with them. Brilliant!....and you go one step further and dye the yarn. Love your colors! Hope you meet your goal, and enjoy every minute doing it.
Woodi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Woodi For This Useful Post:
dancejunky (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #13
dancejunky
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Lizars1735 View Post
Carol, I am in awe of your sock knitting abilities! These next pairs look great so far. I have yet to start my second pair which will be only 2 at a time, toe up. I can't get myself to cast on. Something about that really thin yarn and skinny needles.......
You can do it!

P.S. Some people start sock knitting with worsted weight. I have a couple of pairs like that. It's easier to see the stitches, and the socks knit up faster.

Last edited by dancejunky : 04-23-2013 at 06:27 PM. Reason: add a thought
dancejunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #14
dancejunky
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Woodi View Post
It never occurred to me to unravel sweaters and knit socks with them. Brilliant!....and you go one step further and dye the yarn. Love your colors! Hope you meet your goal, and enjoy every minute doing it.
I've been unraveling sweaters and recycling the yarn for quite a while. I love being able to knit as much as I want without feeling like I'm spending a fortune on my hobby. I can get yarns I probably wouldn't otherwise splurge on, such as silk and cashmere. If you want to try it, just remember to check seams and don't bother with sweaters whose side seams are serged (because each strand of yarn will be cut at the seams, so you'd get short lengths of yarn).

The dyeing is a real bonus. It's very easy and fun. The only thing I haven't added is spinning my own yarn. But I don't want to spread myself too thin and cut into my knitting time.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #15
KnitandPurl
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by dancejunky View Post
As for the 4AAT, lots of people like to knit socks 2AAT to avoid the second sock syndrome (you get one sock done and then can't get motivated to knit the 2nd one) and so you can make adjustments as you go along without having to keep a lot of notes. Once I had learned how to knit 2AAT (using magic loop), I realized that adding 2 more socks wasn't difficult. You simply repeat what you did for the first 2. It's just more of the same, not really more complexity. I've also done 6AAT (yes, 3 pairs), but I'm not ready to do that again until I've mastered the free-sole technique.

Fortunately, we all get to decide for ourselves how we want to work our projects. But I'm glad people post different approaches, because that's how I improve.

Thanks for the explanation on 4AT. I knitted the two sleeves of my sweater at the same time so the gauge wouldn't change on me and cause one sleeve to be longer. I'm thinking of doing that with socks but I took the easy way and bought two sets of DPNs. I'm really impressed with your technique.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:09 PM   #16
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,740 Times in 2,306 Posts
I've been reading GrumpyGramma's posts for a while, and I know she likes to have fun with them. I don't think she meant it in an unkind way.

As for the 4AAT, lots of people like to knit socks 2AAT to avoid the second sock syndrome (you get one sock done and then can't get motivated to knit the 2nd one) and so you can make adjustments as you go along without having to keep a lot of notes. Once I had learned how to knit 2AAT (using magic loop), I realized that adding 2 more socks wasn't difficult. You simply repeat what you did for the first 2. It's just more of the same, not really more complexity. I've also done 6AAT (yes, 3 pairs), but I'm not ready to do that again until I've mastered the free-sole technique.

Fortunately, we all get to decide for ourselves how we want to work our projects. But I'm glad people post different approaches, because that's how I improve.

I deleted it. It wasn't nice. After I came back and looked again, I realized that.

You can't knit the left sock first. Ever.
GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:35 PM   #17
dancejunky
1st Leg of the Journey

A little progress

eta: That color is really off, especially the top one, which is really purple, orange, and yellow.

Last edited by dancejunky : 04-24-2013 at 07:56 AM. Reason: add a comment
dancejunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:41 PM   #18
dancejunky
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by KnitandPurl View Post
I'm thinking of doing that with socks but I took the easy way and bought two sets of DPNs. I'm really impressed with your technique.
Thanks. Whatever works for you. I think working two socks on 2 sets of DPNs should give you the same results as I get working both sets on one circ. There's another way of making 2 socks on one set of DPNs, one sock held inside the other. I think it involves double knitting, but I don't like DPNs, so I never learned that technique.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:56 PM   #19
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,740 Times in 2,306 Posts
Thanks. Whatever works for you. I think working two socks on 2 sets of DPNs should give you the same results as I get working both sets on one circ. There's another way of making 2 socks on one set of DPNs, one sock held inside the other. I think it involves double knitting, but I don't like DPNs, so I never learned that technique.

If you really want to try it, not using dpns is no excuse. You could do the same thing on circs. Someday I might try that method just to say I did but I figure I'd end up with conjoined twins for socks. I know, let's don't and say we did.

You can't knit the left sock first. Ever.
GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:55 AM   #20
dancejunky
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
If you really want to try it, not using dpns is no excuse. You could do the same thing on circs. Someday I might try that method just to say I did but I figure I'd end up with conjoined twins for socks. I know, let's don't and say we did.
I don't think I'm going to need that method now that I've discovered free-sole socks.