Old 04-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #1
HeathersHobbies
1st Leg of the Journey

Continental purling
I am teaching myself continental knitting and I am gonna keep trying even if it kills me I hate when I can't do something. I almost got down the knit st I am having a hard time with the purling. I have been watching Amy's videos over and over again and I still can't seem to get the hang of it. I am working on a pattern that looks almost like a checker board and I need to k2 p2 for two rows and then p2 k2 for two rows. It's taking forever because I am an English knitter. Is there another method of purling that is not on this website?
HeathersHobbies is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #2
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,131 Times in 2,640 Posts
You're wanting another method for purling Continental? Some people find Norwegian purling easier. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svYII4xxe2I I haven't gotten the hang of it myelf.
I knit Continental and have trouble purling English.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
HeathersHobbies
1st Leg of the Journey

I will try that but that looks even more difficult lol
Old 04-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #4
knitcindy
Turning the Heel

This is the method I use for Continental purling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6XBTxJfggU

There are MANY methods that you can try. Keep going and eventually you'll find the one that's right for you!!!

hth, knitcindy
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
HeathersHobbies
1st Leg of the Journey

I got it!!! I use my thumb instead of my middle or pointer finger. It's different but it works. I now am knitting continental not that fast but I am gonna practice all day

I am just glad the kids are at school. MY house is a mess but I am knitting That is way more important.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by HeathersHobbies View Post
I will try that but that looks even more difficult lol
I haven't figured it out yet but some people like it. You might try the combination purl and wrap the yarn backwards. It was easier in some ways when I was first learning and the stitches are tighter. It twists the stitches so you knit in the back loop to untwist them on the next row. As you're determined to get it, I'm sure you will. Something will work. I'll keep trying to do purls English style. I share your frustration.

How you hold the yarn in your left hand can make a difference too. Try different ways of doing it.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

I got it!!! I use my thumb instead of my middle or pointer finger. It's different but it works. I now am knitting continental not that fast but I am gonna practice all day

I am just glad the kids are at school. MY house is a mess but I am knitting That is way more important.

Congratulations!!!!!

Old 04-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #8
Lizars1735
1st Leg of the Journey

I actually saw a video of someone purling continental that way and am thinking about trying it. I use the Norwegian purl. I learned it when I learned continental and it is easier for me to not have to move the yarn forward, or my finger for that matter.

Great job on getting it!!! Congrats
Lizars1735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
HeathersHobbies
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Lizars1735 View Post
I actually saw a video of someone purling continental that way and am thinking about trying it. I use the Norwegian purl. I learned it when I learned continental and it is easier for me to not have to move the yarn forward, or my finger for that matter.

Great job on getting it!!! Congrats
I was trying the Norwegian purl I have been going back and forth and I kind of almost got the hang of it. It works the best when your doing ribbing. I did a row of k2 p2. I figure I would make a dish cloth so that it won't matter what stitches I use.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #10
Lizars1735
1st Leg of the Journey

I was trying the Norwegian purl I have been going back and forth and I kind of almost got the hang of it. It works the best when your doing ribbing. I did a row of k2 p2. I figure I would make a dish cloth so that it won't matter what stitches I use.
It's definitely great for ribbing and moss stitch and the like. I used it for a few row of just purling and figured there was probably a better way, I just didn't think of one at the time. A dishcloth is a great thing to make while teaching yourself something new.
Lizars1735 is offline   Reply With Quote