Old 04-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #21
HeathersHobbies
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Just to overwhelm you some more...I just came across this, it's looks really weird, but hey! if it works for her then it just might work for someone else.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuW-HdnlkmY
OK now I have officially tried every possible way to purl and I still am having a little bit of trouble. I will get it somehow I will not give up
HeathersHobbies is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #22
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,994 Times in 2,509 Posts
I might switch to Portuguese style.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:30 AM   #23
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,287 Times in 2,974 Posts
Originally Posted by HeathersHobbies View Post
OK now I have officially tried every possible way to purl and I still am having a little bit of trouble. I will get it somehow I will not give up
That's the right attitude. Most of these methods are going to seem odd or uncomfortable at first. Pick one that appeals and try it for an all purl swatch or as long as it takes. Your persistence will pay off.
GrumpyGramma (04-30-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 10:19 AM   #24
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

"as long as it takes. Your persistence will pay off." Sounds like when we first learned to knit, doesn't it? I got to thinking about it. Since I can knit and purl one way my motivation to learn another isn't as great as when I couldn't do it any way.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #25
HeathersHobbies
1st Leg of the Journey

"as long as it takes. Your persistence will pay off." Sounds like when we first learned to knit, doesn't it? I got to thinking about it. Since I can knit and purl one way my motivation to learn another isn't as great as when I couldn't do it any way.
Today when I was finishing a scarf I went back to English knitting because I was getting frustrated. The reason I wanted to learn continental to begin with is because of a bonnet I was working on where it was k2 p2 and I was sick of wrapping the yarn back and forth it just was taking too long. I just have to stay motivated and keep at it. My stitches are so uneven it's like you said I am like a beginner again.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #26
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

You really are learning something new. It's a totally different way to the same end. Try wrapping the purls backwards, maybe. That's a kind of combination knitting that makes tighter stitches. I've done it before and still sometimes will. If you mainly want to use Continental for ribbing, perfecting it as you have your English style really doesn't have to be the goal, a way that works is good enough. I haven't tried ribbing in English and don't think I will ever do it that way much. My main reason for learning English is to carry a 2nd color in my right hand to do stranded color work and that I can do with just knits. I may never be able to effectively purl English and I can live with that. Stay motivated, my friend, just don't let it make you crazy.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #27
HeathersHobbies
1st Leg of the Journey

You really are learning something new. It's a totally different way to the same end. Try wrapping the purls backwards, maybe. That's a kind of combination knitting that makes tighter stitches. I've done it before and still sometimes will. If you mainly want to use Continental for ribbing, perfecting it as you have your English style really doesn't have to be the goal, a way that works is good enough. I haven't tried ribbing in English and don't think I will ever do it that way much. My main reason for learning English is to carry a 2nd color in my right hand to do stranded color work and that I can do with just knits. I may never be able to effectively purl English and I can live with that. Stay motivated, my friend, just don't let it make you crazy.
Too Late I am already Crazy So this will only make me crazier
The Following User Says Thank You to HeathersHobbies For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (04-30-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 07:17 AM   #28
artsy1
Ribbing the Cuff

i think of it as the scoop method, have tried to get photos to explain it, but they didn't come out clear- once you insert the needle in front, you scoop the yarn up throught the stitch, i never could figure out purling the other way, will try to get pics again- basically you need to play around and see what works for you
artsy1 is offline   Reply With Quote