My violets!
:-)
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130502_071107.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	56610  

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,751 Times in 7,121 Posts
Those are are beautiful! You've got a green thumb! I had a one, but recently had to to toss it because it was overgrown and bent. The flower was a hot pinkish color.

Memory lane...My grandma used to have dozens...every color and flower pattern you can think of. I remember going to the store and buying her pots and potting mix which was a fun thing to do as a kid. She always gave me a little extra to get a treat.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
N0obKnitter (05-02-2013)
Old 05-02-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
N0obKnitter
Working the Gusset

My (great) Aunt Edie was an African Violet enthusiast and had maaaaany of them. Every time I see one, I think of her.

I don't have the thumb she had; my third violet has a huge neck but I'm fearful I will kill it if I cut and re-pot it. My violets LOVE our bedroom...it gets blasted with sunlight due to being in east-facing window. Also, we run a warm humidifier in that room often. The baby spider plant I rescued from one of the mama plants is blooming, too, and making its own babies.

We got a min orchid when dd was born - it finished blooming but appears to be growing a new leaf.

I have a large variegated dracaena in the living room that is growing like a weed, too.

The phony "bamboo" plant is dying though. Cat mangled it and it's been dying slowly ever since. :'(
Old 05-02-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,098 Times in 2,608 Posts
Originally Posted by N0obKnitter View Post
My (great) Aunt Edie was an African Violet enthusiast and had maaaaany of them. Every time I see one, I think of her.

I don't have the thumb she had; my third violet has a huge neck but I'm fearful I will kill it if I cut and re-pot it. My violets LOVE our bedroom...it gets blasted with sunlight due to being in east-facing window. Also, we run a warm humidifier in that room often. The baby spider plant I rescued from one of the mama plants is blooming, too, and making its own babies.

We got a min orchid when dd was born - it finished blooming but appears to be growing a new leaf.

I have a large variegated dracaena in the living room that is growing like a weed, too.

The phony "bamboo" plant is dying though. Cat mangled it and it's been dying slowly ever since. :'(

Beautiful! I thought I'd posted a reply earlier but apparently not.

African violets love tea and water that eggs have been boiled in. I had a whole bunch in bloom, at least a dozen, and they got tea and egg water. Once a week or so I'd set them in a shallow dish with water and tea bag and just let them soak it up. They're easy to start from a leaf too. You might try starting one or more from the long necked guy, they usually don't last long when they get long necked. I had fun with my AVs. The propagated ones don't always have the same blossoms as the mama plant and I got a big variety of blossoms. I had AVs started from the same leaf that had different blossoms. You can get several babies sometimes from one leaf stem in soil.

"Lucky bamboo" is a dracaena. Is that what you have? Orchids and I never got along, they just didn't like me.

I used to have more than 100 plants, not all different, but I guess I got tired of them. I have a couple that are straggling along.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
N0obKnitter (05-03-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #5
N0obKnitter
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Beautiful! I thought I'd posted a reply earlier but apparently not.

African violets love tea and water that eggs have been boiled in. I had a whole bunch in bloom, at least a dozen, and they got tea and egg water. Once a week or so I'd set them in a shallow dish with water and tea bag and just let them soak it up. They're easy to start from a leaf too. You might try starting one or more from the long necked guy, they usually don't last long when they get long necked. I had fun with my AVs. The propagated ones don't always have the same blossoms as the mama plant and I got a big variety of blossoms. I had AVs started from the same leaf that had different blossoms. You can get several babies sometimes from one leaf stem in soil.

"Lucky bamboo" is a dracaena. Is that what you have? Orchids and I never got along, they just didn't like me.

I used to have more than 100 plants, not all different, but I guess I got tired of them. I have a couple that are straggling along.
Yeah the phony bamboo is a dracaena. The huge dracaena I have with pretty leaves is a different (sub?) Species. The long-necked violet keeps chugging along, weird eh? I need to give them all some new AV soil (bought some ages ago.)

My husband teases me that I'm obsessed with houseplants.