Old 05-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #11
Marg1e
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Skype™ to Marg1e
Ah, salmonmac - I suspect you might have to wait a fair while.
Still, I've finished one of the tails and am about to finish the other; and then ... and then ... I SHALL BE SO GODDAM CAREFUL ABOUT ENSURING I PUT 'EM TOGETHER WITHOUT TWISTING !!!
I s'pose I can say that forewarned is, etc., etc.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #12
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

That's the spirit! Believe me, if there's a knitting mistake left for me to make I don't know what it is.

Two words when you go to join the tails: SAFETY PINS. You'l;l need several big ones.
Stretch the needles out and lay out the bits the way you kow they should be, then safety pin the edge and put a safety pin on the right side (by which I mean the outside of the garment)--and make sure you've finished each on the correct row and in the same direction, because that's one of my favorite screw-ups. Fold the whole business where it's pinned, flattening it out, and pin the other side while it's lying flat. If it tries to curl up on you and argue about the project, pin on something with some weight to it to pull it down until the weight of the wool itself starts to straighten things out.

I figure some yarn is naturally hostile. Use anything you have to in order to beat the project into submission, and don't be the least embarrassed or ashamed to do so!
salmonmac (05-04-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 01:08 AM   #13
Marg1e
1st Leg of the Journey

CRIKEY! - this is a new wrinkle, to me ... and a welcome one, I hasten to add! :-)
I've actually passed the danger spot, and am quite certain that, this time, I didn't make a total ballsup and twist my two bottom sections. However, I'm only here at my PC because of having to walk away from getting to the end of a 'row' (read to the blue marker) and finding that there is NOT a spare stitch left to K.
:-(
It's bloody beyond me, it really is. I've been motoring along at the rate of knots - forgive mixed metaphor - without a hitch, and suddenly I seem to be a stitch short! I shall have to turn off "Nabucco" before it reaches the end, because I've gone through the stitches in this 'row' and found no mistakes ... so it's going to have to be a real detective effort. WHERE HAS MY STITCH GONE?
Don't try to answer that.
I shall be out getting large safety-pins from my local supermarket in the morning; because your hints about keeping the damned enormous garment straight (so to speak) are well worth adopting.
I thanks yer!
Old 05-04-2013, 01:38 AM   #14
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,989 Times in 2,507 Posts
Originally Posted by Marg1e View Post
CRIKEY! - this is a new wrinkle, to me ... and a welcome one, I hasten to add! :-)
I've actually passed the danger spot, and am quite certain that, this time, I didn't make a total ballsup and twist my two bottom sections. However, I'm only here at my PC because of having to walk away from getting to the end of a 'row' (read to the blue marker) and finding that there is NOT a spare stitch left to K.
:-(
It's bloody beyond me, it really is. I've been motoring along at the rate of knots - forgive mixed metaphor - without a hitch, and suddenly I seem to be a stitch short! I shall have to turn off "Nabucco" before it reaches the end, because I've gone through the stitches in this 'row' and found no mistakes ... so it's going to have to be a real detective effort. WHERE HAS MY STITCH GONE?
Don't try to answer that.
I shall be out getting large safety-pins from my local supermarket in the morning; because your hints about keeping the damned enormous garment straight (so to speak) are well worth adopting.
I thanks yer!

for pins!

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:57 AM   #15
Marg1e
1st Leg of the Journey

In the end, having failed totally to ascertain the whereabouts of the missing stitch, I simply made another one before the blue marker and went on as if nothing had happened. Insouciance is my middle name.
And you can't tell! - the herringbone pattern looks absolutely fine. In searching for the logic, I can only assume that because I somehow or other made a stitch vanish between the orange and the blue markers, creating another one within the same stretch was acceptable to the monstrous garment.

I am about to have to change to a new ball: the Bendigo Woollen Mills balls I use equal four normals, which is why it's taken me so long to reach this tricky stage.
Any of you clever clogs feel like contributing your views on the best way of starting a new ball in the round ...?
Old 05-04-2013, 03:40 AM   #16
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,286 Times in 2,973 Posts
Lots of methods to join. I've been exploring different kinds myself and found this article helpful. There is also a very nice braided join which will work and some good videos here about halfway down the page (right after the ever helpful Fixing Mistakes).
Pity about Nabucco but, another day..
GrumpyGramma (05-04-2013), Marg1e (05-04-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #17
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,989 Times in 2,507 Posts
From the article salmonmac linked to:

"Be sure to treat each of these stitches that are made of two strands of yarn as ONE stitch on the following row or you’ll wind up increasing by accident."

I've learned to use a stitch marker to remind me of the double stranded stitches. I've not folded the ends like that, must remember to try it. So far I've just done a few stitches with the old and new ends together.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Marg1e (05-04-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #18
Marg1e
1st Leg of the Journey

Damned fine, ladies - thanks from the heart! I shall print out the overlapping join (my computer room is at the other end of the flat from where I do my knitting) and launch myself upon that method, very shortly.
And I like the marker hint very much - especially in the circ.s of having done something strange already re stitch numbers.