Old 05-07-2013, 10:14 PM   #11
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
If you can manage it, you should be comfortable in your own home. We used an attic fan for years which sucked cool night air through the windows at night and was wonderful, and kept the house cool for a good part of the day but didn't do much during the hot days. The bad part was that we all got addicted to the sound in order to sleep so we had to run it for the kids at least til they fell asleep well into September

When that broke we put in some window units and find that we only have to use them on the bleakest, most humid days. I don't mind the house being warm in the summer because, hey! its summer! When summer gets too full of itself we break down and turn on the ac. The rest of the time I put a small fan in the window blowing in the cooler night air and sleep better than when the ac is on. I think its because the AC cycles and changes sound while the fan is steady.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-07-2013, 10:22 PM   #12
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,247 Times in 2,743 Posts
Sounds like my preferred way of doing things, Ingrid. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if I didn't need to use the new fangled contraption again this year. I expect it will get hot enough that I will though. These apartments heat up like ovens, then kilns. If there were a window on the north end of the building it would help. Here in Western Washington lots of us don't do heat well, anything above 80F is hot.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:12 AM   #13
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,796 Times in 7,157 Posts
Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Someone added to what I wrote.
was all I wrote.

Ahhhhhhh!! That was me. I accidentally hit edit instead of quote.
I fixed it and put in this post. Sorry!

"BTW, we almost got one of the portable a/c units before we did this. My house is too big for just one though and there was really no good way to vent it with the big sliding doors especially since they get used all the time."

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:21 AM   #14
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Ahhhhhhh!! That was me. I accidentally hit edit instead of quote.
I fixed it and put in this post. Sorry!

"BTW, we almost got one of the portable a/c units before we did this. My house is too big for just one though and there was really no good way to vent it with the big sliding doors especially since they get used all the time."
Thank you, Jan! Knowing it's "just one of those things" is all I need. I changed my password (paranoia reigns supreme!) just in case there was a real problem. You're an .

I'm glad you got your AC. I can't imagine living where it really gets hot and not having any.

I could vent one at the slider as I'm on the 2nd floor and just put a stick in the bottom when I want it locked but opening and closing it a lot might be a problem. If I get a 2nd one my DS insists he vent it through the little LR window. He'll have to fabricate something that will fit. If I buy another one he's not, absolutely not! cutting the pieces down. Who knows where I might want to use it next?

Old 05-08-2013, 08:25 AM   #15
N0obKnitter
Working the Gusset

I love our attic fan. <3
Old 05-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #16
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

We also have an attic fan. We've been here for 35 yrs this summer so we lived with fans and open windows for a very long time before we finally said enough. The last few years we've had temps over 100 F many more days than we used to. We have new double pane windows so now the house doesn't cool down easily and it's awful when it's over 80+.. Ugh.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 05-09-2013, 12:17 AM   #17
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

I'd love an attic fan!

I got to thinking today: Why do I feel the need to justify trying to be a bit less miserable and actually not sick? I realized that I was treating my need for AC like a character flaw. I have enough of those without adding imaginary ones. Sheesh.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:01 AM   #18
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

That's true, GG. It's not a character flaw! It DOES get harder to deal with the heat as we get older, too.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 05-09-2013, 01:05 AM   #19
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Quote:
It DOES get harder to deal with the heat as we get older, too.
I'm not getting older. My DD's graduation was on what should have been my 40th birthday so I didn't have my birthday. Once you miss one like that, you never have another one. At 39, I'm younger than my SIL and in a few years will be younger than my DS.

It's true, it's harder every year to deal with the heat and I never have done well in heat especially with humidity.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:56 AM   #20
ABC's Mom
Knitting the Flap

I have a DD who lives in Texas and is also a 4 time Ironman racer. She trains in the Texas heat all year. When I complain about the "heat" here in Michigan she laughs at me.
We have central air as well as a whole house fan. I'd rather use the fan than the A/C but sometimes it doesn't cool off enough in the evenings later in the summer so all that happens is you move the warm, sticky air around so the A/C gets turned on instead.
I also was told by the furnace people to turn the furnace fan on run when it's warm outside and it will not only circulate the air in the house but pull the cooler air from the basement up into the house. That helps 3 ways, makes the house cooler, the basement a little warmer, and also helps the moisture level in the basement. Much cheaper then running either the house fan or the A/C.
ABC's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote