Old 05-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #11
HeathersHobbies
1st Leg of the Journey

I don't know they are looking really small. I checked my gauge and I was spot on so I don't know why they are looking so small.
HeathersHobbies is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-08-2013, 10:52 PM   #12
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,004 Times in 2,517 Posts
I d/l and looked at the pattern. It will work out to about 6 1/2" around in stockinette. It's not specified that I can see but I'd think the gauge would be in stockinette. I measured a pair of socks I that I worked in stockinette with fingering weight yarn and they're about 7" in circumference. These will be really nice when you get them done and stretchy enough that even though they seem small they'll fit your MIL. I think my worsted weight socks took about that many stitches but it's been a while and I didn't keep notes.

I think I'll stick with toe-up no swatch Lifestyle socks. Those don't look easy peasy to me. You're much braver than I!

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #13
ad2knit
1st Leg of the Journey

I tried socks 2 years ago...they were the reason I took a break from knitting for 2 years..I don't know if it was the dpns itself, or the material of the DPNS ( I used bamboo then) or if it was just me....but using them made my hands, shoulders and arms hurt. Maybe I'll try again this summer after I finish with these baby projects and with plastic dpns. I use plastic straights to knit right now.

But yours look really good by the way Keep at it. well done.
ad2knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #14
HeathersHobbies
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I d/l and looked at the pattern. It will work out to about 6 1/2" around in stockinette. It's not specified that I can see but I'd think the gauge would be in stockinette. I measured a pair of socks I that I worked in stockinette with fingering weight yarn and they're about 7" in circumference. These will be really nice when you get them done and stretchy enough that even though they seem small they'll fit your MIL. I think my worsted weight socks took about that many stitches but it's been a while and I didn't keep notes.

I think I'll stick with toe-up no swatch Lifestyle socks. Those don't look easy peasy to me. You're much braver than I!
Well As I am working on it, it is looking a bit bigger. I think just the ankle looks really small.

I can't wait to finish them now. I just got some more yarn in the mail to make more socks
Old 05-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #15
HeathersHobbies
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by ad2knit View Post
I tried socks 2 years ago...they were the reason I took a break from knitting for 2 years..I don't know if it was the dpns itself, or the material of the DPNS ( I used bamboo then) or if it was just me....but using them made my hands, shoulders and arms hurt. Maybe I'll try again this summer after I finish with these baby projects and with plastic dpns. I use plastic straights to knit right now.

But yours look really good by the way Keep at it. well done.
Thanks!
I knit English style and I am not having any pain. It's when I try to knit continental that is when my fingers start to hurt.

Maybe, you should try a different style of knitting.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #16
ad2knit
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by HeathersHobbies View Post
Thanks!
I knit English style and I am not having any pain. It's when I try to knit continental that is when my fingers start to hurt.

Maybe, you should try a different style of knitting.
i knit english too. Im not having pain right now - alls good.
ad2knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:35 PM   #17
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

What a beautiful colorway of Chroma! You've made an excellent start, and I look forward to seeing the rest of Easy-Peasy sock #1.

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises."
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:51 AM   #18
HeathersHobbies
1st Leg of the Journey

The only problem I am having is laddering. I tried tightening up the stitches on the start of the new needle but it's still happening. It's not that noticeable until you stretch out the material. It's my first pair so I am not going to fret over it
Old 05-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #19
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,004 Times in 2,517 Posts
Originally Posted by HeathersHobbies View Post
The only problem I am having is laddering. I tried tightening up the stitches on the start of the new needle but it's still happening. It's not that noticeable until you stretch out the material. It's my first pair so I am not going to fret over it
You've discovered a design feature! I have a pair that has laddering and I decided that it's a design feature. It really doesn't look bad, it's just not what I'd originally intended.

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #20
HeathersHobbies
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
You've discovered a design feature! I have a pair that has laddering and I decided that it's a design feature. It really doesn't look bad, it's just not what I'd originally intended.
Well it's on the bottom of the foot so I am not too worried.