Old 05-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #41
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,307 Posts
That is beautiful! When you crochet you don't hold the yarn in your left hand? How do you do it?

You can't knit the left sock first. Ever.
GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #42
Marg1e
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Skype™ to Marg1e
It's hard to describe with any accuracy, GG ...
The yarn is wound around the fingers of my right hand, starting with the little finger; the crochet hook is held between the 3rd/2nd fingers and thumb; the object is held in my left hand. The hook gets kind of thrust into the required st/sp just as my knitting needle does, and the yarn wrapped around the emerging end from the right.
And if you can grasp that image, you really are a h'expert!
<grin>
Old 05-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #43
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,642 Times in 7,044 Posts
Interesting! I've never seen anyone crochet like that. I crocheted for many years using the "traditional" method of holding the yarn in my left hand, but when it came to knitting, English method was just easier and more natural for me.

That is a beautiful afghan you've crocheted!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #44
Marg1e
1st Leg of the Journey

I was very pleased with it, particularly because I made it as a gift for my oldest and dearest friends' 50th wedding anniversary - and they were RAPT!
And when I add that it was they who gave me my Gaggia Classic as a birthday present, 23 years ago, you will understand why their pleasure was so gratifying.
:-)
But the only 'garment' I've ever crocheted is a shawl that I made for my publisher, who is a very small and a very wonderful woman. (She must be, to be able to correspond creatively with me over the space of nearly 18 months ...)
I'm one of those people who tends to pull stuff out if it doesn't meet my standards: and such is a fairly regular occurrence.
:-|
Old 05-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #45
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Publisher? What are you writing?

Old 05-09-2013, 11:08 PM   #46
Marg1e
1st Leg of the Journey

Sig. files are sometimes useful things ...
:-)
Old 05-10-2013, 06:33 AM   #47
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,121 Times in 2,833 Posts
Congratulations on the book. The excerpted chapter is a fine one. I wish you much success with it although just seeing it in print must be very satisfying.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #48
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Anyone saying their way the right way for everyI really truly detest some of the youtube videos that make it look like English knitters are all but throwing their arms around.
It's just the reverse of the fad for English knitters running up, trying to grab projects out of Continental knitters' hands and offering to how them the RIGHT way. There is no RIGHT way. The current We All Must Knit Continental fad is just that, a fad (and I knit combined.) One of these days some trendy instructor will "discover" another style that becomes the We All Must.

If the result looks like a knit, purl or yarn over, it's all good. Nobody's allowed to run up, grab the finished garment and yell "You knitted this the wrong way!"

The only thing I wish would disappear is the wrist-twister English variant still practiced around here where everyone brags about how many carpal tunnel surgeries they've endured. That's the only method they teach in the mandatory home ec class. It hurts, it's hard and it's not necessary to pull the yarn so hard that it often breaks and the finished object will stand by itself...even when it's supposed to be a lace shawl. No wonder so few people continue to knit afterwards--they don't know there are better ways, English or continental.
GrumpyGramma (05-10-2013)
Old 05-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #49
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanks to salmonmac I found the chapter excerpt. Imagine my shock and surprise to discover that a well written, interesting book that actually contains real, coherent sentences is being published. I want to read the whole thing. I'd concluded that only those who can't write real sentences can get published anymore. and congrats! I always wanted to converse with a real, live author and now I can say I have! I suspected a real writer would be a very interesting person and I'm not disappointed.

As an aside, I came across a youtube video with a sort of rap about the Periodic Table of the Elements and was thinking I'd share it with my grands when I heard "randomly organized" in it. It was written by a teacher. Unless I'm sorely in error, randomly and organized are mutually exclusive. Some things just make me cringe; then the whole point of the thing falls by the wayside.

Thanks for pointing out the link in your sig. I hadn't noticed that it was a link.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #50
Marg1e
1st Leg of the Journey

Good morning, young ladies!
I have just made a nice little loaf of bread, and it is cooling irritatingly slowly on a rack. I am hungry. Sighh ... Shoulda started making it Thursday rather than Friday (using tsp yeast, it sits for more than 12 hours before being cooked, you see).
Then I took my battery of pills: although I'm happy to report, somewhat boringly, that there's only one prescription and four Others; whereas I was throwing down a few more, while back.
So here I am, ready once more for the fray and the fun.
Most appreciative of nice comments, believe me! It's been so long since I delivered the ms to Fremantle Press - my first submission, apart from a memoir competition (wherein I was not even shortlisted) - that I've had plenty of time to become anxious about it. Released early August; and I'm meeting the Marketing Manager later this month to be told what'll be going down in that regard.
I now draw a line under all that, with apologies to those who are wondering what the devil I'm raving about.

Being as inexperienced as I am, knitting/crochet-wise, I've never come across any of the "my way or the highway"-style crafters of whom you guys write; and I'm certainly happy I haven't! I suspect I might been a wee bit rude, whaddya reckon ...?
Becky, what IS the wrist-twister variant you describe? - I mean, it sounds absolutely weird ...