Old 05-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #11
NorthernIrelandKnitter
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Marg1e View Post
Why, when I want to follow a link someone's posted that leads to something within Ravelry, am I instantly confronted with the need to create an identity therein before I can read anything?
It's the only site I know that doesn't provide 'guest' access without any need to log in (unless you want to actually say/write anything).
Anyone know?
That annoys me too about Ravelry or probably the fact that people assume everyone is a member of that site and can see photos of their completed projects there. I am not a member of Ravelry and have no real desire to join.

Gillian
NorthernIrelandKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #12
N0obKnitter
Working the Gusset

I'm a member but primarily for patterns etc. I look up yarns, too. It's a great avenue for acquiring destash yarns, too.

What bothers me is the fact nothing is done about bullies/vicious people and disagree button harassers. Be wise - do not post anything personal (my friend received harassment ie: her address etc.)

Anyone can see any forum post you make. Lay low.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #13
sheldon
KH Geek
Site Admin

Thanked 1,479 Times in 528 Posts
Originally Posted by Marg1e View Post
So is Amy still around? - or has she, once having got all this underway, moved on to Something Else?
I don't see her name around, contemporaneously speaking ...
Amy is still around, as am I. We had a daughter 4 years ago, and a son 3 months ago, so time is a bit more scarce than it used to be. I work on KnittingHelp.com full time, and then some. Between managing our server, coding, running the store, social media, editing videos, etc., I probably put in at least 60 hours a week. Amy has her KnittingHelp.com days each week where she works on new things, such as planning and shooting videos, and doing research. We're a good team and we balance out each other well.

We both tend to be reserved and avoid the spotlight. So neither of us are very outgoing on the KH forum or any community website for that matter. We do love the community that has flourished at KH and recognize that it is unique. We're really grateful for everyone who participates and contributes to the discussion here.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sheldon For This Useful Post:
Marg1e (05-13-2013), N0obKnitter (05-13-2013), Ronda (05-14-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #14
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,763 Times in 7,131 Posts
Knitting Help is by far the best for quick help and comraderie. Amy and Sheldon have been adding patterns to the free pattern section regularly and there are a whole lot of them now.

Here is why I love Ravelry for different reasons and besides KH is by far the visited and valuable site I've come across. I use it not only for pattern searches, but seeing how others used patterns..what yarn, weights, how certain colorways look, if there were problems or errata, and modifications. I can search patterns using the filters.. like only V-neck raglans in fingering weight for children, or stuffed vegetables for instance. I also look up yarn and see if it's discontinued or if others thought it was splitty, or soft, etc.

I use my own page to keep track of my projects. I can't tell you how many times I've gone back to look to see if what yarn or needle size I used or how I did something. It's been invaluable.

I do use the forums occasionally, but I avoid the controversial ones. I'm not sure why anyone complains about that because it's easy enough to avoid. I belong to several, but really only view a few and participate in a few... I post primarily to a low carb group, a Survivor TV show group, and a local yarn store.

Now I know your question is WHY can't you just view patterns. I believe that ability is fairly new and not everyone allows it for whatever reason. I have a few patterns, but I have no idea if they are viewable. See if you can view these links. If not I'll see if I can figure out what you need to do to making them viewable.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/autumn-pumpkins
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...s-stocking-v-2

I set up a yahoo email just for this type of thing. It's the one I use when I need to join a forum or website. That way I don't need to use my personal email. I don't know of any spam that I've gotten can be traceable to Ravelry. The more you are online the more chance it can happen from anywhere. It's just an annoying fact of life. Fortunately Yahoo is pretty good at catching it before I even see it.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (05-13-2013), KnittinGal (05-13-2013), N0obKnitter (05-13-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #15
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,636 Posts
Jan, I didn't know you'd written patterns! Thanks for the links, I didn't have to sign in to see and d/l. I'm not much for Christmas stuff but I think I have some orange yarn to make a pumpkin.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Jan in CA (05-13-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #16
KnittinGal
Ribbing the Cuff

I the pumpkins!!

KG
KnittinGal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KnittinGal For This Useful Post:
Jan in CA (05-13-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #17
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

I turned my disagree button off ages ago, as soon as I found out how. If I disagree with somebody I'll tell them why, and that way I don't accidentally hit "disagree" when I'm surfing on the iPod. The bigger benefit is that I can't see others' disagrees on my posts, which suits me fine.

I got flamed in one forum for mentioning that a fast food place messed up and made DH's burger with everything. There's a whole lot of screaming and hair-trigger assumptions, but that's just the world now.
N0obKnitter (05-13-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 05:31 PM   #18
Marg1e
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Skype™ to Marg1e
All true. All useful. All interesting - I might say especially from Sheldon, since, being a newbie, I was unaware of the b.g. You guys rock!
Old 05-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #19
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,636 Posts
Quote:
Knitting Help is by far the best for quick help and comraderie. Amy and Sheldon have been adding patterns to the free pattern section regularly and there are a whole lot of them now.

KH is the best for reliable, useful help in large part because of quick responses. If something's not clear, it gets clarified, additional questions are also quickly addressed. I'm sure I'm not the only one knitting today because I got fast, useful, friendly help here. I might feel a little silly asking some questions because I think I should know the answers already but never, ever has anyone responded in such a way to reinforce that feeling. Rudeness is rare.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
N0obKnitter (05-13-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 08:04 PM   #20
Marg1e
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Skype™ to Marg1e
But in your case, it's only because we're all nervous of yer.