Old 05-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #11
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,124 Times in 2,633 Posts
Sometimes things only make sense when you do them. My suggestion is to just start and follow the pattern and see how it works out. I think that as you go along it will make sense. You don't need to worry about how many repeats...you just keep going until you run out of stitches. The pattern actually states it's worked from the top so that's what you'll be doing. The top edge will get longer with every row you work.

As I'm previewing, I see that salmonmac has already replied. She's smarter than I am and knows much more about knitting. If anything I wrote is other than what she said, I'd go with her.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #12
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,418 Times in 3,098 Posts
GG....please. You know that you and I speak as one.
GrumpyGramma (05-26-2013)
Old 05-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #13
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,124 Times in 2,633 Posts
That's about the best compliment I've had in quite a while. Thank you. I do defer to your greater experience and knowledge.

I recently did a mindless knit shawl...mindless once I realized how the increases worked and that it did indeed get longer (wider?) along that top edge as I went along. I've not tried charts yet, I'd just have to trust the pattern and work one row at a time (exactly what I did, fortunately for me it was a much simpler pattern) and see what develops. I shouldn't have been surprised when it worked out but I was.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #14
kswatson
Casting On

Awesome - thanks, GG and salmonmac! I really do appreciate the help; sometimes it just takes someone to shine the light of sanity on things after you've stared at them for too long.

I think part of the problem is that I'm from a computer programming background where you have to spell out *every* line of code specifically, so free thinking probably isn't one of my strongest skills. Hopefully that will change, though!

I really appreciate both of your help!
Kimberly
kswatson is offline   Reply With Quote