Old 06-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #11
Rie
1st Leg of the Journey

Hey Jan in CA!

You are so right about the types of yarn and its something I've been thinking a lot about recently.
Regrettably, I have to further restrict the amount of knitting I do with wools designed for fair isle because I have a raging lanolin allergy. My reactions are becoming more severe.
It's hard enough to knit with wool, but I'm also no longer able to wear sweaters like this, even with a t-shirt underneath.
I need to be able to knit with superwash wool blends like Stroll or cotton blends like Comfy for anything that will be remotely clingy.
However, I think something like Roscalie will be fine to wear since it's designed to have something substantial worn underneath. I'll risk losing the skin on my hands for Alice Starmore!
Rie is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #12
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,796 Times in 7,157 Posts
I don't have an allergy and I can knit with wool, however my skin is too sensitive. Even cashmere can be itchy. :(

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:36 PM   #13
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
That's about par with the machine I have, and it worked just fine. Using small stitches and making a second seam right next to it gives a good, fool-proof way to secure the steek stitches.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
Rie (06-02-2013)
Old 06-01-2013, 11:55 PM   #14
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,796 Times in 7,157 Posts
I never did get that sweater steeked that I mentioned in the steek thread. My DH fixed my machine...and now it needs fixing. And also it's buried with yarn. One of these days...

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:15 AM   #15
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Originally Posted by Rie View Post
Hi Artlady1981!

Thank you for getting back to me so fast. That is an interesting idea about hand sewing. I don't know why I didn't think of it.
I guess I could do a swatch to see how it goes, because I am quite possibly the Worst Hand Sewer ever!
I would still like to get a machine because if I want to continue knitting it will be without wool most of the time. My lanolin allergy is becoming more serious.

I didn't find too much about Sandy Blue online. Is this one of her patterns? Did you take this class in person? Would I need to join Rowan to get access to it?

I love that tutorial! I think I might email her and see if she has any suggestions for machine specs.
Sandy Blue was a Rowan rep. The owner of our LYS met Sandy during that interaction. Upon learning how talented Sandy was as a (especially Fair Isle) colorwork knitter and teacher, our LYS owner signed her to teach a 6-hrs Colorwork class. I think it cost me $250.

I haven't seen Sandy since. But I'll always remember what I learned in her class!

Sandy never ever sews a "safety line" before she cuts. She leaves about three steek stitches next to the real knitting....then after the cut steek naturally rolls up, she tacks it down into place. (She uses mostly sport or dk wools, of course, so those three steek stitches aren't too bulky when they roll to the inside.) She brough about a dozen Fair Isle pullovers. I inspected all of the steeked necklines and armholes....everything was perfect. No excess bulk, no naked edges showing, no frayed edges.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
Rie (06-02-2013)
Old 06-02-2013, 06:08 AM   #16
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,500 Times in 3,175 Posts
I don't have a machine but I've hand sewn steeks on wool sweaters (even children's sweaters) and they've stayed nice and secure. A running back stitch repeated like this seems to work well.
Rie (06-02-2013)
Old 06-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #17
Rie
1st Leg of the Journey

Salmonmac, that's such a good link because she explains the why behind her instruction. I love Eunny. I was a little shocked that's she is no longer the IK editor. I hope this means she'll have more time to design knitwear.
Rie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #18
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,500 Times in 3,175 Posts
I hope so too. She's such fun to watch on the Knitting Daily TV shows. I learn something new every time i watch.