Old 06-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
Brickerbrac
Casting On

Too tight arm holes on DROPS 116-1 cardigan
I've been knitting a DROPS 116-1 cardigan for my daughter. This is a bottom up knit with the sleeves knit on circular needles and then joined at the yoke. I got the yoke almost completely finished and had my daughter try it on. She finds the armholes too tight!

I've knit to the correct guage (if anything it's a bit loose). How can I get the arm pits larger? There's a fair isle pattern that begins at the yoke. If I add stitches to the sleeve width it would screw up the pattern.

I've unravelled back to where I start the yoke and join in the sleeves.

Thanks!
Brickerbrac is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
RochesterKnitter
Turning the Heel

You could frog back. BO more sts under the arms on the body piece. Add more sts to the sleeve. When you attach put the extra sleeve sts along the body BO sts and only keep what you need for the correct yoke count.

You could frog back and increase the sleeves by using a progressively larger needle. It would keep the stitch count the same put increase the size of the top of the sleeve. I'm not sure this would help though if the armpit is the problem.
RochesterKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
Brickerbrac
Casting On

Thanks RochesterKnitter, I'll try your first suggestion and see if it works.
Even if it doesn't you've taught me something.
I never heard of the term Frog Back until now. I found a Youtube video on how to do it and wish someone had taught me that lesson 40 years ago!
Brickerbrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
KnittinGal
Ribbing the Cuff

I've used one pattern by DROPS before, and had a little trouble with it as well! My problem had to do with measurements - I was supposed to measure the piece at one end (which was longer) and the other end (which was shorter). When one matched up correctly, the other didn't.

So, I asked the lady at a local yarn store. She said that the patterns from DROPS were originally written in German, and that it had been translated...which possibly led to some information being left out, or at least unclear. Maybe that is part of your problem?

"Who shall find a valiant woman? far and from the uttermost coasts is the price of her...she will render him good, and not evil, all the days of her life. She hath sought wool and flax, and hath wrought by the counsel of her hands...her fingers have taken hold of the spindle. Favor is deceitful and beauty is vain: the woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised." ~Proverbs 31
KnittinGal is offline   Reply With Quote