Old 06-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
Teeka
Ribbing the Cuff

decreases & neck with woman's cardigan sweater/jacket
I am trying to finish a bottom-up cardigan and the "finishing" instructions are confusing me a bit. It's supposed to be a raglan yoke. The decrease is supposed to go like this:

"SK2P (sl 1, K2tog, psso), sl this st to LH needle and K2tog, P2 sl 1, K3tog, psso"

This decrease repeats 4 times (where front and back join to each sleeve). I understand the notation, but the results are looking a bit wonky.

I decided to try an alternative decrease (K2tog, k1, sl 2, ssk), but of course it also doesn't seem to be working out quite right.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking I should just rip everything out and go back to the pattern (trust the pattern, right?). But . . . I thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks a million!

Sell your clothes; keep your thoughts.
--Henry David Thoreau

Teeka is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,420 Times in 3,099 Posts
So you do the SK2P and then knit it together with the next stitch, P2, and then slip 1, k3tog, psso. And this doesn't look so good? I'd give it another try or maybe a try on a practice swatch.Iit's a quick decrease of 6sts but I'm not sure how it's being used in your pattern. Possibly you could decrease on the previous row and then again on this row for a more gradual decrease but it depends on the pattern.
Can you post a pattern link or give us the pattern name?
Old 06-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
Teeka
Ribbing the Cuff

The pattern name is very generic: "Pattern 7 Woman's Jacket." I got it at a yarn store, but it's just a photocopy and I don't know what magazine it's from. Here's what it says:

"Work sts from holder as foll: right front, right sleeve, back, left sleeve and left front and work raglan yoke as foll. On the 1st row work in rib and dec as foll: work" [and here there seems to be text missing] " /10) times as foll: Work 35 (38/41) sts" [here is the decrease, followed by] Cont to decrease sts in this way. When piece measures 16 (17/18) from beg, work neck shaping as foll." [Then the neck shaping info starts.]

That missing text might be part of my problem as well, I realize.

Thanks for any insight anyone might have.

Sell your clothes; keep your thoughts.
--Henry David Thoreau

Last edited by Teeka : 06-13-2013 at 07:04 PM. Reason: typo
Teeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:14 PM   #4
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,636 Posts
You might want to see if the store you got it from can shed any light on its origin.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:37 AM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,420 Times in 3,099 Posts
Actually the decrease turns out pretty well. Be sure to slip the stitches knitwise.
The missing information does seem crucial, however. I agree with GG, The yarn store may have other copies that are more complete or they may be able to figure out what the missing information should be from the stitch numbers.