Old 06-14-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
NicoleRenee
Casting On

Can't Figure Out This Decrease
Hi, I'm knitting a hat in a lace cable pattern with a multiple of 11 stitches, I'm using 110 specifically and I can't figure out how to decrease this. The pattern goes like this:

R1: k
R2: yo, ssk, k1, k2tog, yo k6
R3: k
R4: yo, sl1-k2tog-psso, yo, k1, slip next 3 stitches to dpn and hold 3 in back; k3, then k3 from dpn; k1
R5: k
R6: yo, ssk, k1, k2tog, yo, k6
R7: k
R8: yo, sl1-k2tog-psso, yo, k8

If anyone has any ideas on how best to decrease this I would appreciate the help because I'm going craaaazzzzyy!
Thanks-a-Bunch
NicoleRenee is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-15-2013, 12:16 AM   #2
flyboydc10
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by NicoleRenee View Post
Hi, I'm knitting a hat in a lace cable pattern with a multiple of 11 stitches, I'm using 110 specifically and I can't figure out how to decrease this. The pattern goes like this:

R4: yo, sl1-k2tog-psso, yo, k1, slip next 3 stitches to dpn and hold 3 in back; k3, then k3 from dpn; k1

If anyone has any ideas on how best to decrease this I would appreciate the help because I'm going craaaazzzzyy!
Thanks-a-Bunch
well Row 2 and Row 4 are a miss, you can't do a yarn over with the first stitch.... Are you sure those are the right directions?
Old 06-15-2013, 12:25 AM   #3
flyboydc10
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks-a-Bunch
Ok your doing a slant decrease it looks like, I am not sure about the yarn over at the beginning of row 2 but your going to slip slip and knit row 4 your going to slide 1 and knit 2 together-and pass slip stitch

Hopefully someone with a lot more experience will come on and tell you what to do I am not sure with the sl-K2tog-Psso if they want you to slide one over knit 2tog then go back and pass the if stitch back? Its a tricky decrease.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:20 AM   #4
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,085 Times in 2,596 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drv2kFcPm2U yo at beginning of a row

I tried it with slipping the first st, it worked.

What part of the instructions are you having trouble with? I left it waiting for someone else w/more experience also. It looks to me as though the decreases are as written...I've not worked it.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
flyboydc10 (06-15-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 01:42 AM   #5
flyboydc10
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks-a-Bunch
Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drv2kFcPm2U yo at beginning of a row

I tried it with slipping the first st, it worked.

What part of the instructions are you having trouble with? I left it waiting for someone else w/more experience also. It looks to me as though the decreases are as written...I've not worked it.
so thats how you do a yo at the beginning the rest is pretty much your decrease then
Old 06-15-2013, 05:16 AM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,377 Times in 3,060 Posts
Very pretty pattern. To decrease for the crown of the hat you're going to have to give up either the lace pattern or the cable pattern first. It's really a matter of preference for you.
If you decide to maintain the cables as long as possible, then do the decreases every other round within the 5 lace sts. You'd have to change these 5 lace sts to either all purl or all knit sts. Eventually the decreases will eat into the cable pattern too but this will be further up the crown.
If you decide to give up the cable you could maintain knit sts over these 6sts as you decrease. Decrease as k2tog or ssk every 9sts on the first round (work 9sts, k2tog), then every 8sts on round 3, every 7 on round 5 etc. Eventually this will eat into the lace pattern and you'll have to go to knit sts here too.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:56 AM   #7
NicoleRenee
Casting On

Oh gosh, sorry for the confusion guys the part of the pattern that I posted is the body of the hat, it's not a decrease at all, how to decrease is what I couldn't figure out.

- Salmonmac: Thank you, I don't know why it didn't occur to me that I couldn't have both, I think I'll keep the cables going and drop the lace.

Also to those that have said that you can't yo for a first stitch, is there a reason why, I'm a self taught knitter with a lot to learn but I yo first stitches in the round all the time, should I not be?
NicoleRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:08 AM   #8
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,377 Times in 3,060 Posts
In the round the yarn overs become part of the knit fabric. For knitting flat, you actually can yarn over at the beginning of the row and there are patterns that use this instruction. The link that GG posted shows an nice example of this kind of pattern. So keep on with your yo's!
GrumpyGramma (06-15-2013)