Old 06-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #1
Artchic528
1st Leg of the Journey

What's this? (Firefox reports this site as bad?)
I logged on as usual and this warning from Frefox (the browser I use) pops up declaring this site as containing "badware" or some such thing and that it could potentially harm my computer. Why did it do that?

Needless to say, I am a little confused. I know that this site isn't chock full of malware, viruses, and trojans. Its always been one of my trusted sites. Why now, is there a problem?

Oceanblue28 on Ravelry

So many things to knit, so little time!!
Artchic528 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
I had the same issue. Reported Attack Site! Sheldon?

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
sheldon
KH Geek
Site Admin

Thanked 1,478 Times in 528 Posts
As far as I can tell it appears to be a false positive. It looks like Google's malware service is misinterpreting the javascript which handles the ads on the forum. Ironically, the code is hosted by Google's own code service. So umm, yeah.

I am still investigating. No warning shows up for me on Firefox or Chrome and Google doesn't flag the site in their search results as being potentially dangerous.
The Following User Says Thank You to sheldon For This Useful Post:
salmonmac (06-15-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
PearlB3
Casting On

I just got this is an attack sight too.
PearlB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,057 Times in 2,569 Posts
I got the warning. I emailed the Webmaster who responded promptly and graciously to ease my nonexistent fears. Thanks Sheldon, we know you're looking out for these things and I really appreciate it.

If there really were a problem, would it only be dangerous for Windows users?

ETA FF gave me the option of clicking that this isn't an attack site and so I did.

Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance
...the five stages of frogging.
GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #6
Artchic528
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by sheldon View Post
As far as I can tell it appears to be a false positive. It looks like Google's malware service is misinterpreting the javascript which handles the ads on the forum. Ironically, the code is hosted by Google's own code service. So umm, yeah.

I am still investigating. No warning shows up for me on Firefox or Chrome and Google doesn't flag the site in their search results as being potentially dangerous.
Good. I'd hate for there to be a problem with my favorite knitting based forum. I'd go crazy without being able to come on here!

Oceanblue28 on Ravelry

So many things to knit, so little time!!
Artchic528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #7
sheldon
KH Geek
Site Admin

Thanked 1,478 Times in 528 Posts
I replaced the ad serving code from the forum and put in a request for a "review" with google. So they should scan the site at some point in the future and remove the KH forum from the StopMalware blacklist. Hopefully that will happen soon and the warning prompts delivered by browsers which leverage StopMalware will cease.

Quote:
I got the warning. I emailed the Webmaster who responded promptly and graciously to ease my nonexistent fears. Thanks Sheldon, we know you're looking out for these things and I really appreciate it.
Oh, that was you! I thought the email address looked familiar. I have to commend you on sending the screenshots. Usually when someone reports a problem, all they tell me is "Something not right". The more specifics I have the better I am able to get to the bottom of things.

Quote:
If there really were a problem, would it only be dangerous for Windows users?
As far as I am aware, malware exploits tend to affect PC's and more specifically older versions of Internet Explorer. With newer browsers, you may receive a prompt to install some plugin or save some file, which of course would be trouble.

Sometimes a site can get listed as unsafe and it's not due to being infectious. Spammers will sometimes find ways to setup phishing sites hidden among the website. So in these cases, you would get the browser warning of an unsafe website, but there actually nothing dangerous on the pages.

I don't think Mac's are entirely immune. Their popularity has made them a bit more of a target than they used to be. However, they tend to be secure and more up-to-date than windows. Case in point: we still get about 500 windows visitors each month using Internet Explorer 6. This is a browser from 2001! It amazes me. The #1 browser visiting KH is Safari, the browser by apple, largely thanks to the iPad and iPhone toting knitters.

Anyhow, there's always something exciting going on at KH.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Quote:
Oh, that was you! I thought the email address looked familiar. I have to commend you on sending the screenshots. Usually when someone reports a problem, all they tell me is "Something not right". The more specifics I have the better I am able to get to the bottom of things.
Thank you. My assumption was that you probably already knew about the problem and had taken care of it and the screenshots were unnecessary. I learned long ago that too much info can be better than not enough. Besides, I like playing with the screenshot feature. I should have thought to include my user name.

My computer "wisdom" consists of: no system is invulnerable and when I have a problem it's almost always operator error.

I've been asked if I can alter garments to fit people when I've never seen them in person even. Ugh.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:28 PM   #9
flyboydc10
Ribbing the Cuff

I got the same thing for my Mac but on Safari, I had to go through of a few things before being able to get on here but I have noticed there are a lot of spammers who have hit this site so do becareful
Old 06-15-2013, 09:40 PM   #10
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Yeah, I've noticed a lot of spam lately. The mods do a remarkable job getting rid of it, but they simply can't be here every second of every day.