Old 06-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #11
Dclutterchique
1st Leg of the Journey

Here's how I'm doing the maths for the stitch count:

K8(+8), k2tog(+1), yfwd(+1), (k9(+9), k2tog(+1), kfwd(+1) )2 times(x2), k9(+9). (+n)is the number of stiches that instruction places on the right needle

So 8 + 1 + 1 +(9 + 1 + 1) x 2 + 9

8 + 1 + 1 + (11) x 2 + 9

8 + 1 + 1 + (22) + 9

10 + (22) + 9

FO: Downton Hat

A sweater of a thousand yards begins with a single stitch. Lao-tzu's Granny
Dclutterchique is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dclutterchique For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (06-17-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #12
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,129 Times in 2,638 Posts
Yes, I see how you're counting it. Because the OP says
Quote:
I'm a United States knitter & having trouble understanding the directions in European pattern
and yfwd is more or less the same as a U.S. yo and I found a video for something similar, I do think there will be increases in the middle. I don't need to be right about this, it's become sort of fun for me as a puzzle to be solved, but I really do want the OP to get it figured out. I know how frustrating these things can be. Either seeing the pattern or a picture of what it's supposed to look like would be nice. Yo or yfwd increases would show up in a photo.

PS: I just woke up and remembered that you are English, (duh! you say so right in your sig) so if anyone will be able to suss it out it should be you. I've become so accustomed to seeing maths used where I use math that I didn't even pause at it. Something should have clicked sooner.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #13
tullyfamily
Casting On

Wow- you ladies are amazing! Thanks for the quick responses! Yes, it was YFWD. I thought that meant I had to yarn over & knit. If I just have to yarn over, my stitch count is good! Yahoo!
tullyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #14
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,129 Times in 2,638 Posts
Originally Posted by tullyfamily View Post
Wow- you ladies are amazing! Thanks for the quick responses! Yes, it was YFWD. I thought that meant I had to yarn over & knit. If I just have to yarn over, my stitch count is good! Yahoo!
You got it? Wonderful!!!! Oh, maybe not, now I have no excuse for not doing housework. Thanks a lot! Seriously, I want to see what it looks like so if you could, would you please post a photo? I'm happy dancing for you.

One more thing: How do you do the KYFWD?

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #15
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,422 Times in 3,101 Posts
If you have 41 sts after the row then you're good and you're on your way with this sweater. Yes, the yfwd is just a yarn over in US terms. We lump yrn and yfwd together (not so precise but there you are) and just call them yarn overs, no knit sts involved.
Cute wrap!
http://www.knittingfever.com/c/subli...?pattern=12590
Old 06-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #16
tullyfamily
Casting On

Pattern is going well! I'll post a pic when I'm finished but for now, here is a pic of the pattern: http://www.knittingfever.com/c/subli...?pattern=12592
tullyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tullyfamily For This Useful Post:
Dclutterchique (06-18-2013)
Old 06-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #17
Dclutterchique
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Yes, I see how you're counting it. Because the OP says

Quote:
I'm a United States knitter & having trouble understanding the directions in European pattern

and yfwd is more or less the same as a U.S. yo and I found a video for something similar, I do think there will be increases in the middle. I don't need to be right about this, it's become sort of fun for me as a puzzle to be solved, but I really do want the OP to get it figured out. I know how frustrating these things can be. Either seeing the pattern or a picture of what it's supposed to look like would be nice. Yo or yfwd increases would show up in a photo.

PS: I just woke up and remembered that you are English, (duh! you say so right in your sig) so if anyone will be able to suss it out it should be you. I've become so accustomed to seeing maths used where I use math that I didn't even pause at it. Something should have clicked sooner.
Don't worry about missing the fact that I'm English and the math/maths thing. Over the past two days I've been hunting down minor details on invoices that the Accounts Department sent over to the office where I'm temping. So my thinking at the moment is "If I can see the little details, everybody else can see them." Also, when I was at school I took, and passed, 'O' Level Mathamatics at 15 instead of the normal age of 16, so numbers and calculations don't scare me. ('O' Levels, or GCSE's as they are now, being the UK national exams for various subjects for 16 year olds.)

FO: Downton Hat

A sweater of a thousand yards begins with a single stitch. Lao-tzu's Granny
Dclutterchique is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dclutterchique For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (06-18-2013)