Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-18-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,085 Times in 2,596 Posts
Pick up and knit ratio help, please
I just finished using up all the yarn I had allocated for a blanket. I ran out of yarn before it was as long as I want and I wish I had made it a little wider. I think I should know the answer to my questions but my brain has imploded and left me unable to figure it out.

The blanket is worked in moss or double seed stitch so I have 2 knit rows and 2 purl rows repeating up the sides. Stockinette calls for picking up 3 sts every 4 rows but I think the alternating knits and purls might call for something different. Could I go down from sz. 10.5 needles to sz. 10 and just pick up 1 st for each row? I know for sweater fronts I've gone down a needle size because I want the front band tighter and don't think it matters much on this blanket edge.

I currently intend to go down to sz. 10 needles to pick up and knit across the ends using garter stitch. I may stumble across something that will cause me change my mind. As this is a stash project I might decide to use different colors that I have small amounts of and may find a pattern other than just plain stripes that I find interesting but simple enough for nearly mindless knitting. Any suggestions about this would be welcome also.

I'm attaching a photo of the edge so you can see what I'm working with. HTH

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	blanket edge.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	56741  

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote