Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 10:39 PM   #1
serenaking
Casting On
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how to reverse directions when knitting the round...
...without making a hole?
I am knitting a bootie with a turned down cuff. When I change direction to make the inside now the outside I get a hole.
Hope some one can help :-)
serenaking is offline   Reply With Quote

 

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-22-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
claireweber
Working the Gusset
 
claireweber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: California Central Coast
Posts: 1,303
Thanks: 615
Thanked 791 Times in 596 Posts
Originally Posted by serenaking View Post
...without making a hole?
I am knitting a bootie with a turned down cuff. When I change direction to make the inside now the outside I get a hole.
Hope some one can help :-)
I'm a little confused. I don't believe you will be changing direction when you are knitting in the round for what you are doing. What part of the sock are you knitting?
claireweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:51 PM   #3
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock
 
GrumpyGramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,073
Thanks: 2,041
Thanked 3,196 Times in 2,697 Posts
Welcome to KH. Can you give us a link to your pattern, or its name and where you got it?
__________________
~ GG

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:21 AM   #4
serenaking
Casting On
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a picture of the bootie
http://erssieknits.squarespace.com/learn-to-knit-socks/

The pattern I'm knitting is Baby Pixie Booties. You knit in stocking stitch for about 12 rows then the patterns says 'Start knitting in reverse so that the wrong side becomes the right side- this is where the cuff will fold over'.

It worked ok except that there is a hole in it where I changed directions. When I googled the problem I found that some people stitch it up when they're finished, and some people add a stitch or two to 'fill in' the hole. I am wondering if there is another better way.

Thanks for your replies. Sorry the pattern is printed, not online so I can't link it.
serenaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:24 AM   #5
claireweber
Working the Gusset
 
claireweber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: California Central Coast
Posts: 1,303
Thanks: 615
Thanked 791 Times in 596 Posts
I found this pattern for some booties - and there is turning involved for the top of the foot shaping.

http://pickinandthrowin.blogspot.com...-top-down.html

Maybe someone can make some sense of it, I am extremely must go to bed. Night all!
claireweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:25 AM   #6
claireweber
Working the Gusset
 
claireweber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: California Central Coast
Posts: 1,303
Thanks: 615
Thanked 791 Times in 596 Posts
Originally Posted by claireweber View Post
I found this pattern for some booties - and there is turning involved for the top of the foot shaping.

http://pickinandthrowin.blogspot.com...-top-down.html

Maybe someone can make some sense of it, I am extremely must go to bed. Night all!
Or maybe this isn't even similar to the booties being knitted. Ah well, time to sleep.
claireweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:45 AM   #7
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock
 
GrumpyGramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,073
Thanks: 2,041
Thanked 3,196 Times in 2,697 Posts
So, is the idea to have stockinette on the outside when the cuff is turned down? In this video KNITFreedom - How To Knit Garter Stitch In The Round Without Purling Liat shows how to avoid purling when doing garter stitch in the round but the wrap and turn should work for the one time you turn it inside out. HTH

Those are cute booties.
__________________
~ GG

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:34 AM   #8
serenaking
Casting On
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thankyou grumpygramma, that was just what i was looking for thanks everyone for replying!
serenaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:46 AM   #9
Dclutterchique
1st Leg of the Journey
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 228
Thanks: 75
Thanked 141 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by serenaking View Post
http://erssieknits.squarespace.com/learn-to-knit-socks/

The pattern I'm knitting is Baby Pixie Booties. You knit in stocking stitch for about 12 rows then the patterns says 'Start knitting in reverse so that the wrong side becomes the right side- this is where the cuff will fold over'.

It worked ok except that there is a hole in it where I changed directions. When I googled the problem I found that some people stitch it up when they're finished, and some people add a stitch or two to 'fill in' the hole. I am wondering if there is another better way.

Thanks for your replies. Sorry the pattern is printed, not online so I can't link it.
Ah, my 2 favourite pet peeves in knitting patterns: typographical errors and badly worded instructions.

The typo because it should read 'Start knitting in reverse stockinette stitch ' and the badly worded instructions because they imply the whole thing is turned round while knitting. It's simply turned over when finished.

All you're doing is switching from working every round in all knit stitches to working every round in all purl stitches.
__________________
An English Knitter (nationality and method).
Feel free to call me either Clutter or Julie (my real name).

A sweater of a thousand yards begins with a single stitch. Lao-tzu's Granny
Dclutterchique is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dclutterchique For This Useful Post:
claireweber (06-23-2013), GrumpyGramma (06-23-2013), salmonmac (06-23-2013), Woofens (06-24-2013)
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Help with reverse knitting joakes01 How-to Questions 1 05-16-2010 10:19 AM
Ok round IV Front Right Panel of Cardigan/reverse shaping laurebelle26 How-to Questions 1 03-20-2010 09:08 AM
Circular knitting = reverse stockinette? scubasinger How-to Questions 18 04-18-2007 12:44 PM
Pattern help. Reverse stockinette stitch (purl every round) snooc How-to Questions 2 10-19-2005 12:46 PM
reverse knitting? ChroniclesofYarnia General Knitting 1 03-31-2005 07:02 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:31 AM.