Old 06-14-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
nicolajaneduffy
Casting On

Extra Stitch in Cellular Blanket - should I restart?
Hi all,

Hope some of you can advise?

I'm knitting the cellular blanket from the Erika Knight Nursery knits. I seem to have picked up an extra stitch somewhere, 170 instead of 169. I've never knitted anything lacy/holey before and not sure if I can get anyway with just decreasing somewhere or whether this will create a big inconsistency in the blanket and how it looks??

I fear that frogging will leave me in a muddle and I will end up ripping out right back to the border - I'm not confident I know the pattern well enough to rip out and pick my stitches back up again and resume where I left off...

Also there are that many stitches that it's hard to look at the piece and try and see where the extra stitch is.
Any ideas on how I could solve this with the least pain and keep my work looking nice?

Thanks so much!

Nicola
nicolajaneduffy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
RochesterKnitter
Turning the Heel

Sometimes with lace knitting you can get rid of an extra stitch by doing a k3tog rather than a k2tog.

Having looked at the photo of this pattern though, I think it will be quite obvious where the increase and decrease occured - your pattern should have shifted. Have you located where the increase was? How many rows back? Do you have a photo?
RochesterKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,497 Times in 3,172 Posts
So painful when this happens! Take a look at the last row that you did and go back over the pattern instructions, namiing each stitch on the needle as you go. You may be able to identify the extra that way. Another possibliity is to insert a needle a couple of rows back then rip out to that point (keeping count of the rows you rip out) and again name the sts on the row that's on the new needle. Here's a video for inserting a needle in a destination row. It's more difficult with a lace pattern but perhaps you can do it on a wrong side purl row?
This won't help now but it will once you get back on track. Use a lifeline. It'll save wrry about ripping out and picking up sts if this should ever happen again.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
nicolajaneduffy
Casting On

Thanks for the tips guys. It took me so long to reply as it took so long for me to fix and get back on track!!! I ripped out all the way to the border in the end and I did rip it out a few times too...I just kept doing something wrong. I think I have it now, I have knitted a good few inches and it is so much easier to see the pattern now and how it is working. I've never inserted a needle before unravelling, maybe that is why I waste so much time, will also look into lifeline - the link doesn't work here! Thanks again.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
nicolajaneduffy
Casting On

I'm putting a lifeline in for definite!!
Old 06-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,497 Times in 3,172 Posts
Originally Posted by nicolajaneduffy View Post
...will also look into lifeline - the link doesn't work here! Thanks again.
There may be some work going on with the site but try again in a while for the lifeline video or search out a video on YouTube. Good luck with it!