Old 06-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
Woofens
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Woofens Send a message via MSN to Woofens Send a message via Yahoo to Woofens Send a message via Skype™ to Woofens
Yarn Over?
So I want to start a dishcloth pattern that GrumpyGrandma pointed me towards, but it calls for YO's and I have no idea how to do them. I went to the free video's but I get an error on my laptop and my kindle when I click on them. Can anyone walk me through it?? Thanks in advance!

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Woofens

The only difference between an experienced knitter and new knitter is that the experienced knitter makes bigger mistakes faster. Be bold; there are no terrible consequences in knitting.

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

OTN:
Blocks in Blocks Afgan for Taz
Pet snuggles for charity
BonBons fingerless mitts for Sarah
Dorm socks for Skye-finished
Dallas Cowboys Man Hat for John-finished
and as always, dish cloths.
Woofens is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
Woofens
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Woofens Send a message via MSN to Woofens Send a message via Yahoo to Woofens Send a message via Skype™ to Woofens
So I went to Youtube and found one. I think I understand it now. Anyone know why the video's aren't working?

The only difference between an experienced knitter and new knitter is that the experienced knitter makes bigger mistakes faster. Be bold; there are no terrible consequences in knitting.

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

OTN:
Pet snuggles for charity
Old 06-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
Antares
Working the Gusset

I got the same errors, so maybe Sheldon is changing something on the site or perhaps it just went haywire for no good reason.

Yo's are easy--you're just wrapping the yarn around the needle without inserting the needle through the stitch on the left needle first. But let us know if you run into any snags.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antares For This Useful Post:
Woofens (06-25-2013)
Old 06-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,196 Times in 2,697 Posts
Whatever the problem with the videos is, Sheldon will take care of it. I found a video a while back called Yarn Over 101 that I call Everything I Never Knew I Wanted To Know About Yarn Overs. It's probably overkill right now but you might want to save it for later.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Woofens (06-25-2013)
Old 06-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
Dclutterchique
1st Leg of the Journey

I've sent a quick email to Sheldon, bringing the video problem to his attention.

A sweater of a thousand yards begins with a single stitch. Lao-tzu's Granny
Dclutterchique is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dclutterchique For This Useful Post:
Woofens (06-25-2013)
Old 06-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
Woofens
Turning the Heel

Thanks so much, both of you. GG, I'll check out the video... I appreciate all the help I can get!!

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

OTN:
Pet snuggles for charity
Old 06-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #7
Woofens
Turning the Heel

Thanks Julie!

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

OTN:
Pet snuggles for charity
The Following User Says Thank You to Woofens For This Useful Post:
Dclutterchique (06-25-2013)
Old 06-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #8
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,465 Times in 3,141 Posts
Videos are back now, at least the ones that I checked seem to be working. I was also having trouble but got a screen with a message from Sheldon saying that work was going on at KH.
At any rate, yarn over video here for the yarn over between two knit stitches. We call it yarn over no matter what the meighboring sts are but British patterns use yarn over, yarn forward and yarn round the needle to be more precise. The yarn over is done a little differently after a purl stitch or between two purl sts but the outcome as Antares described it, is an extra loop over the needle before working the next stitch on the left needle.
Woofens (06-25-2013)
Old 06-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #9
Antares
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
The yarn over is done a little differently after a purl stitch or between two purl sts but the outcome as Antares described it, is an extra loop over the needle before working the next stitch on the left needle.
Yeah, everybody always says this, but I can't tell that's there's any difference in how you do a YO before or after any stitch. It's still wrapping the yarn once around the needle no matter what stitch it comes before or after. Now where you position the yarn to make the next stitch might matter, but even then, that location is no different from where you'd position the yarn to do that particular stitch anyway.

This really really REALLY confused me when I first started knitting, and when I finally figured it out (thanks to suzeeq), I thought, "Now why the heck did everyone have to confuse me about this? It's not difficult, and yet everyone's making out like it is!!"

So here's suzeeq's advice (since she's no longer here): For a YO, wrap the yarn around the needle in the same way you would wrap it to a regular knit stitch (or purl stitch--it's wrapped the same way for both stitches, so either will do). Then bring your yarn to the correct position (front or back of needle) to do the next stitch! Easy-peasy and a lot less confusing!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Antares For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (06-25-2013), Woofens (06-25-2013)
Old 06-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #10
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,196 Times in 2,697 Posts
Yup, suzeeq taught me that and much, much more. I miss her quick responses, they were to the point and I could almost always get it on the first read. Everyone else is helpful, but she just added something here that I really feel we need. Ah well, life goes on. I agree, Antares, making things more complicated than they have to be is confusing to the max. Still, because of the various names used in some patterns, I think the yarn over video is a must see at some point and makes a good reference when I run into a what the heck does that mean? name for a yo. I'm wanting to venture into the for me still uncharted territory of lace knitting and expect I'll run into a few I don't recognize.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote