Old 06-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

WIP: EZ sweater aka the fractured fairy tale
Ever start a project, work at it awhile and say "Meh - I don't like this because <insert a reason>. I've got to fix this, it's a hot mess." Then chaos ensues...That's this sweater.

In another thread, this sweater for DGD started out just fine with a 2x2 rib at the bottom.

After 2 inches of perfectly knit 2x2 rib and 4 inches of bubble gum colored sweater I sat back, admiring my handiwork and really looked at the sweater. Now this is either a really good habit to develop, or a really bad one, because...

"Meh - granddaughter is more girly than this, I've got to fix this. But how??"

Can I give this to my grandson? Picture my 7 year old Batman aficianado dressed up in a sweater that makes him look like a demented Care Bear? I think not. %@#! Can't repurpose all of that beautiful knitting. And no other little girls to finish it for either...

Hmmmm - I don't like the ribbing, it needs a seed stitch border. Yeah, that'll work!

So, I happily frog and rewind yarn to start anew. Then chaos ensued. The road to Hades is indeed paved in good intentions.

Cast on #1: I miscounted and cast on enough stitches to knit a sweater large enough to fit a Wookie. Who would look like a demented Care Bear in that sweater if finished. Of course, I notice this about 10 or so rounds in.

Cast on #2: I miscounted again and cast on too few stitches. DGD is entirely too young to wear a Jane Russell sweater. Again, I notice this after about 20 rounds or so in. I begin to wonder who is demented by this point.

Cast on 3: Yay!!! Right number cast on, then a few rounds into it... %$!&!!! Foiled again! The cast on got twisted. As much as I enjoy topology problems, this won't work AT ALL.

Cast on 4: With my sanity somewhat intact, we arrive at the WIP in the photo. Just another inch of the body, then I get to start on the sleeves!
Attached Images:

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-25-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,803 Times in 7,162 Posts
You're braver and more dedicated than I! I would have quit after the second attempt or tried a different pattern. Often though you can simply at some detail at the cuff and/or bottom or select girly or boy buttons to get the effect you want.

I do think it's very pretty though. So who is it going to be for now?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Last edited by Jan in CA : 06-26-2013 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Too tired to make sense last night so clarified my thoughts.
Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (06-26-2013)
Old 06-26-2013, 12:14 AM   #3
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,255 Times in 2,747 Posts
IMO it looks great. If you think you need to girl it up more, maybe some ruffles on the sleeves? Maybe picot BO? Just a couple thoughts. I bet she likes it just fine. I agree it doesn't look like it's for a boy.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2013, 04:29 AM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,503 Times in 3,178 Posts
That sweater is a survivor and it deserves to be finished! It looks good in girly colors and a pretty combination at that. If you're still in doubt after it's finished maybe a cute pin (assuming your DGD is old enough)?
Thanks for the fractured fairy tale (where did they go?) which made my morning. I guess we've all had at least one of these.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
Antares
Working the Gusset

Rotro! It's the dreaded two-steps-forward-three-steps-back project!

I like what you have so far. Hope it will straighten up and fly right now!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Antares For This Useful Post:
DavidSydney63 (06-29-2013), justplaincharlotte (06-26-2013)
Old 06-26-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Been there, done that! I can't EVER seem to cast on the right number of stitches if it's anything past 30...so I use stitch markers now...every 10 stitches...and then I recount inbetween the markers BEFORE beginning to knit the first row.

Oy vey! I cast on 100+ stitches one time using stitch markers every 10th stitch...and knit away....and when it came time for some interesting pattern work...I discovered I had cast on either 1 too few, or 1 too many. Whatever it was, it ruined things. I frogged and started over. Heavens.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #7
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
You're braver and more dedicated than I! I would have quit after the second attempt or tried a different pattern. Often though you can simply at some detail at the cuff and/or bottom or select girly or boy buttons to get the effect you want.

I do think it's very pretty though. So who is it going to be for now?
Naahh, Jan, I'm just the quintessential hard-headed southern gal, because my girl IS getting a sweater from her Gramma for winter.

And grandson is getting one just like it, but with a 2x2 rib at waist, sleeve, and neck. Only in almost batman colors: dk gray/blue/orange.

At least the seed stitch hem at the waist,sleeves, & neck will give it a more feminine look than the 2x2 rib.

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
Old 06-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #8
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,255 Times in 2,747 Posts
Charlotte, I'm sure the grands will love the sweaters. Mine seem to think anything Gramma makes is beyond priceless. Ugh, that can be a pain, GS outgrew his Xmas PJs with cars on them years ago and is still hoping I can make them fit again. Don't be too hard on yourself, you are making them with love and they'll know and feel it. Do, please, enjoy your knitting.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #9
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
IMO it looks great. If you think you need to girl it up more, maybe some ruffles on the sleeves? Maybe picot BO? Just a couple thoughts. I bet she likes it just fine. I agree it doesn't look like it's for a boy.
Thanks GG! I wanted her to have something she could play comfortably in but still look like a girl, so I went with seed stitch borders at wrist, waist, and neck. The picot bind off may work at the neckline to priss her up a bit more. She's enough like me that if I put picots at the wrists, she'll get her fingers stuck in them!

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
Old 06-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #10
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
Been there, done that! I can't EVER seem to cast on the right number of stitches if it's anything past 30...so I use stitch markers now...every 10 stitches...and then I recount inbetween the markers BEFORE beginning to knit the first row.

Oy vey! I cast on 100+ stitches one time using stitch markers every 10th stitch...and knit away....and when it came time for some interesting pattern work...I discovered I had cast on either 1 too few, or 1 too many. Whatever it was, it ruined things. I frogged and started over. Heavens.
I sympathize ArtLady.

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
- Elizabeth Zimmermann