Old 09-26-2011, 10:41 AM   #1
msebaz
Casting On

Cable pattern repeat
I have a headband pattern, knit on circular needles. Pattern cast on is 105 sts, then follow chart of 15 sts across. The 15 across includes a section that is repeated 8 times. so sectin before and after repeat is only knitted once per round. [3 + (6 x 16) + 6)] or on next round, [6 + (6 x 16) + 3]. My confusion is that on a few of the rows, they have a cable pattern as part of the repeat that begins outside of the instructed repeat pattern. Those rows have a 4 stitch cable that begins outside of the (6 x 16).

No one may be able to make sense of this, and was not sure if I cold post a fee pattern to be more specific. It is a lattice cable headband that is cute, but without that important instruciton of how to complete that repeat, can't do it. Help?
msebaz is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-26-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

One thing that would help is to place markers before and after the place in your work where these repeats would be. It's much better than having to count stitches every row. It will also help you to quickly find the place on your chart. What some knitters do is use highlighting markers and mark over each repeat pattern on the chart with various colors. You could also outline the edges of the sections with different colored pencils.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Here's a link to your pattern. LINK You can always put a link to a free pattern here and it is okay to give a few rows of any pattern when seeking help.

I think the answer to your question lies in this directive that is right under the first paragraph after the directions start:
Quote:
Work the 8 st repeat 16 times across; in rows 6, 10, 14, and 18, the last two stitches of one repeat cross the first two stitches of the next repeat.
So what is looking to you like a 4 st cable that is different from the rest is actually the same kind of cable as you find everywhere else but right at the join you will be working one of the cables right over the join.

I understand what they are saying is going to happen, what I don't get is how you deal with the k1 at each end of the chart on those rows. It seems like they would be in the way of making that particular cable, but maybe as you work it it will come clear.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
msebaz
Casting On

Thanks MarigoldinWA
That is the pattern I am talking about! Good sleuthing skills. I am a failry inexperienced knitter, and very novice with patterns, but I am sitll soooo confused. For example, row 6 would start per the pattern, "k1, cable 4 sts."... I am now in the repeat 16 times, but when I go to repeat, the first two stitches of cable are not inside the repeat.

And then confused once I am out of the repeats and enidng the round. Feeling like a dunce.

I may have to give up on this one!
Old 09-26-2011, 06:05 PM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,373 Times in 3,056 Posts
I would start this pattern with the rib pattern on the first two rows. Follow the increases on row 3 and the first cable cross row (row4) By the time you get to row 6 you'll see which way the cables are crossing and starting to weave into the lattice pattern. I think that the definition between the repeats won't be so important, just follow the woven pattern and look at the photo. I'll bet the lattice weave becomes even more apparant as you progress.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:39 PM   #6
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

I didn't look at the pattern closely enough the first time, I thought it was worked in the round, but it isn't.

You need to begin at the bottom of the chart and read row 1 from left to right because it is a wrong side row. Each box on the chart stands for a stitch and shows what stitch it is from the right side so you need to work the opposite stitch from what is shown on row 1. Row 1 is P1, k2, p2 *k2, p2; rep from the * to the last 3 sts, k2, p1.

All of the cable crosses are done over groups of 4 sts as is shown by the key at the bottom. The tricky thing is that on rows 6, 10, 14 and 18 the groups of 4 are not always all inside the repeat lines. For instance on row 6 you K1, then the first part of the 4 box symbol is outside the repeat so when you put the 4 boxes together you have the symbol at the very bottom of the key. They call it (top line after the symbol) C2 over 2 right P. And line 2 next to the symbol tells you how to do it. Then you do the next cable which begins with the 3rd box inside the repeat line. That is the second to last symbol in the key--they call it C2 over 2 left P and uses 4 boxes (sts). Now you still have 2 boxes before the end of the repeat and to get the other 2 boxes for what you do next you have to go back to the beginning of the repeat. So when you put those 4 boxes next to each other in order you find what you do is another C2 over 2 right P.

It would be way easier for you to think of it this way. Row 6: K1,* C2 over 2 right P, C2 over 2 left P, rep from * till you have 1 st, k1.
Row 10: K1, *C2 over 2 left P, C2 over 2 right P, rep from * till you have 1 st, k1.
Row 14: Repeat row 6.
Row 18: Repeat row 10.

The instructions for the inc > with the line under it (the make one purlwise)is given as :
Quote:
Pick up the strand between the next two sts k-wise;purl into the back of this st.
I think this would be more clearly described as "with the left needle pick up the strand running from the next stitch on the left needle and the last stitch on the right needle from the front, purl it through the back."

The M (or make 1) is described as:
Quote:
Pick up the strand between the next two sts k-wise;knit into the back of this st.
Again you are using the left needle to pick up the running thread between the next stitch on the left needle and the last stitch on the right needle from the front, knit into the back of the strand.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Believe it or not I wasn't through. The computer program would not let me place my cursor anywhere and I wanted to say something it the big space in the other post.

If you do like I said for reading the chart in general (I think you understand that part already) then work rows 6, 10, 14 and 18 in the simpler way I gave, I think you will be about to figure out the rest of the rows because they don't involve the same jumping around those rows do.

Does this make sense?
Old 09-27-2011, 09:29 PM   #8
msebaz
Casting On

Ready to try it!
I think between the helpful posts and my sense of adventure, I am going to give it a try. Thanks to all that responded. That was my first visit to the site. I shall be back with more questions! You all were very helpful.
Thanks from Vermont
Old 06-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #9
Rockeesmom
Casting On

Originally Posted by msebaz View Post
That is the pattern I am talking about! Good sleuthing skills. I am a failry inexperienced knitter, and very novice with patterns, but I am sitll soooo confused. For example, row 6 would start per the pattern, "k1, cable 4 sts."... I am now in the repeat 16 times, but when I go to repeat, the first two stitches of cable are not inside the repeat.

And then confused once I am out of the repeats and enidng the round. Feeling like a dunce.

I may have to give up on this one!
I have attempted this pattern 5 times. I have finally given up, my blood pressure is high enough, and thrown the pattern away. It would have been so much EASIER for the designer to write out those miserable charts that started on the 6th row. Thank for letting me vent.
Rockeesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:43 AM   #10
DavidSydney63
Knitting the Flap

what a cute headband ... must try it!
DavidSydney63 is offline   Reply With Quote