Old 07-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #11
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
This was my very first 'real shawl'. It was daunting work because both sides , RS & WS, had "work to do". So if you make a mistake on the RS, such as forgetting a YO or what have you...it's impossible to detect on the WS, much less correct, because you're occupied with more 'work' on that row! The only 'clue' that "something ain't right" is when the stitch count between the markers were 'off' and you couldn't complete the assignment between them

I had to become paranoid at the end of each row, checking the work between each stitch marker before moving on to the other side. I think there were 27 stitch markers (repeats of 12 st each) across the row for the lacy bottom part. Oy vey.

So it wasn't until almost the end of the shawl that I began to automatically recognize the pattern stitch and enjoy the work. So all in all, this shawl was work. But I'm glad I did it for her!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-01-2013, 09:23 PM   #12
dturner
Turning the Heel

Looks like they love their knitted goodies! The scarf and wrap are lovely, as are the girls!
dturner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dturner For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (07-01-2013)
Old 07-01-2013, 11:06 PM   #13
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

So very pretty: both your knitting and the models!

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:45 AM   #14
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
This was my very first 'real shawl'. It was daunting work because both sides , RS & WS, had "work to do". So if you make a mistake on the RS, such as forgetting a YO or what have you...it's impossible to detect on the WS, much less correct, because you're occupied with more 'work' on that row! The only 'clue' that "something ain't right" is when the stitch count between the markers were 'off' and you couldn't complete the assignment between them

I had to become paranoid at the end of each row, checking the work between each stitch marker before moving on to the other side. I think there were 27 stitch markers (repeats of 12 st each) across the row for the lacy bottom part. Oy vey.

So it wasn't until almost the end of the shawl that I began to automatically recognize the pattern stitch and enjoy the work. So all in all, this shawl was work. But I'm glad I did it for her!
First "real" shawl? Really?

Your work, as always, is to die for! Your granddaughters are beautiful!

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote