Old 07-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
KnitBeg
1st Leg of the Journey

3 needle bind off with just one set of "live stitches" still on the needle
This summer I started a project to get rid of most of my left over wool. Usually this means that there is just a little from each color so I'm searching for "small things" to knit. I find that bracelets are very useful

There is thing which really stands out in the patterns I've seen - I haven't looked at knitting on a circular needle. So by using 'straight' needles I see that they often use the "3 needle bind off" to sew/knit the bracelets together so the knitwork becomes round. This seems such an elaborate thing to do, as the bracelets are usually just about 10 stitches wide so why go through the trouble of picking up stitches on the lower edge to use the 3-needle-bind-off-technique?!?
Or they mention the kitchiner stitch, but you'll need to pick up stitches too for that technique.

It really puzzles me. Isn't it way easier to just sew the sides together? When I sew, it looks the same as the picture I see here. I might see that the "3 needle bind off" is a bit faster when you have to put together a large number of stitches, but it seems such a hassle.

I know - where is the question in all this Basically, I'd like to know what your choice would be to sew together a piece that is about 10 stitches wide and has only live stitches on one side of the project.

I guess am just looking for a reason to follow the instructions instead of avoiding the whole thing and using a button or a string. For I have to say, I never tried the 3-needle-bind-off-technique so far. I really dred the picking up of the stitches and the way it is going to look - being more comfortable with sewing the seam.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,286 Times in 2,973 Posts
Three needle bind off is a sturdy, neat solution to joining two sets of live sts. Knitting even something as small as a bracelet, it's still useful because the seam lies flatter and is less obvious. Rather than pick up sts at the cast on edge, try a provisional cast on so that you have live sts there to join with the ending live sts. Using Kitchener will make an almost invisible join that's worth the extra time needed.
It's not so much that these techniques are faster but that they give a more finished look. Try out them out and you may find you like the results.
claireweber (07-07-2013), KnitBeg (07-09-2013)
Old 07-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
claireweber
Working the Gusset

I have not used the three needle bind-off technique although I do plan to use it on my WIP.

I have used a three needle technique for joining two knitted pieces together, producing a layered effect and I it. I the project a number of times, there were so many stitches, but once I got myself into a very focused place, I was successful. The join is beautiful! It is sturdy and appears seamless.

I think you would be very happy using the 3-needle bind off, it is worth the effort and you will have another technique to use in future projects.
claireweber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to claireweber For This Useful Post:
KnitBeg (07-09-2013)
Old 07-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,989 Times in 2,507 Posts
I'd use a provisional cast on as salmonmac suggests and then use it for the 3 needle BO. If you know you're going to use that BO there is no point in picking up stitches later to do it, it won't be as nice a finish.

Quote:
I have used a three needle technique for joining two knitted pieces together, producing a layered effect and I it.
Please, Claire, do tell us what this technique is.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
KnitBeg (07-09-2013)
Old 07-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I'd use a provisional cast on as salmonmac suggests and then use it for the 3 needle BO. If you know you're going to use that BO there is no point in picking up stitches later to do it, it won't be as nice a finish.

Please, Claire, do tell us what this technique is.

Since I haven't viewed many of the videos on this site it could be a technique that you all are familiar with.

It is like the three needle bind off only omitting the bind off part. I'm using it on my shawl for joining the knitted blocks together.

I knitted the bottom block of the back panel of my shawl and left it on a spare needle, finishing on a RS row. I then knitted a number of rows on the second block, ending on a RS row. Then with the wrong sides of both blocks facing up, and the first block on top, I joined both pieces, following the pattern for the second block, knitting one stitch from the first block together with one stitch from the second block.
The Following User Says Thank You to claireweber For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (07-07-2013)
Old 07-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by claireweber View Post
Since I haven't viewed many of the videos on this site it could be a technique that you all are familiar with.

It is like the three needle bind off only omitting the bind off part. I'm using it on my shawl for joining the knitted blocks together.

I knitted the bottom block of the back panel of my shawl and left it on a spare needle, finishing on a RS row. I then knitted a number of rows on the second block, ending on a RS row. Then with the wrong sides of both blocks facing up, and the first block on top, I joined both pieces, following the pattern for the second block, knitting one stitch from the first block together with one stitch from the second block.
I made a ruffled purse for my GD and did this, ending up with ruffles that overlapped the fabric I knitted underneath. I'm not seeing how it works for your shawl but that's OK. My brain is mush anyhow. Maybe a picture in What'cha Knittin'?

Old 07-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #7
claireweber
Working the Gusset

I made a ruffled purse for my GD and did this, ending up with ruffles that overlapped the fabric I knitted underneath. I'm not seeing how it works for your shawl but that's OK. My brain is mush anyhow. Maybe a picture in What'cha Knittin'?
Mine is mush now, too. Just got a lesson from my DH in resizing and posting, so I'll see if I can post it here, just posted it on What'cha Knittin.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shawl.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	56775  
Old 07-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #8
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanks so much, Claire, that is simply stunning. I'm sorry the posting was such a pain but at least you had quality time with your DH. What'd he say when you were done, take 2 aspirin and call me in the morning? My DS will help me with things computer but he'd really rather not.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Thanks so much, Claire, that is simply stunning. I'm sorry the posting was such a pain but at least you had quality time with your DH. What'd he say when you were done, take 2 aspirin and call me in the morning? My DS will help me with things computer but he'd really rather not.
He poured me a beer We do not lesson well, but we manage to make it through. My husband worked for many years in the field of computers, part of his job was instructing other employees. I can be proud to hold the nomenclature of perhaps his worst student
Old 07-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #10
KnitBeg
1st Leg of the Journey

Thank you all for the replies. As for the 3 needle bind off - I guess I should just try

I had never heard of a provisional cast on. I read and looked at some video's about it and I think that it will indeed be quite useful. Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention.

However, I understand that this is a cast on techique. So it won't apply for the bracelets I already made which are waiting to be sewn/knit together so they can go around my wrist I guess I'll just have to be creative with those...

I'll be back to show what a finished product with this 3 needle bind off looks like.

BTW that shawl looks amazing and I can see how this technique is useful there (without having to pick up stitches).