Old 07-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #11
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,056 Times in 2,568 Posts
Relief! Good for you. I'm glad you'll have a day like you want. I hope the family thing won't become a real problem for you.

I do hope MIL is not really very sick and will feel better soon.

Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance
...the five stages of frogging.

Last edited by GrumpyGramma : 07-04-2013 at 01:32 AM. Reason: See Jan's post below, please.
GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-04-2013, 01:05 AM   #12
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,740 Times in 7,112 Posts
Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post

I do hope MIL is really very sick and will feel better soon.
Typo?

It's nice it all worked out! I imagine it'll come up again with cousin since you didn't talk to her though.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:31 AM   #13
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Typo?

It's nice it all worked out! I imagine it'll come up again with cousin since you didn't talk to her though.
OMG! I can't believe I missed that! I meant:

I hope MIL isn't really very sick.

Thank you, Jan, for catching that. I'm going to edit the original. Ugh.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #14
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Well, I hope you had an enjoyable time with your family at the parade! Fortunately, you did not have to have the conversation with your cousin. If this comes up again, I would keep it very simple if this works for you. Being that you expressed your wishes on a previous visit and they were disregarded, I would say no to the dog, stating that it will not work for you and hopefully you would not be pressed further. And if pressed, remember the mantra, "I'm sorry, having the dog in my home will not work for me." And then perhaps you could suggest that she board the dog or have a neighbor watch him.

I have no children, however, I can understand how easy it is to turn a deaf ear to them. I have many siblings and when we were young they could be very unruly and I would pay them no heed.

Some parents allow their children to run wild, without any consideration as to how they are impacting the people around them. Personally, I find this very annoying, I truly appreciate parents that are considerate of others, obviously your cousin is not.

I don't know what would work with the food and drink situation. We have a home that we now rent out, we moved from the area for work and are planning to return for retirement. Recently I showed it to a family interested in renting it and found myself aghast! The parents were lovely people, they brought their daughter and her friend. The girls were running through the house, banging doors and drawers and the parents did nothing! It was a very uncomfortable situation, I asked the girls to please stop with the banging. I think if the parents do not step in, you have to speak directly with the children. The girls stopped, but it wasn't great.

So the language I like to use:

.......does not work for me
I would prefer if you do not........

It is possible to keep it honest and polite, just keep it very simple.

HTH
claireweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #15
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Claire, I hope you are charging a huge deposit! I hate paying big deposits but I get them back. I hope you don't have to rent to anyone with children that behave that way. The way laws are now, you might have to. Things happen with kids, there's no getting around it, but undisciplined darlings are not nice to be around and tend to cause excessive damages. Best of luck to you in your role as landlords and in your new home.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #16
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Claire, I hope you are charging a huge deposit! I hate paying big deposits but I get them back. I hope you don't have to rent to anyone with children that behave that way. The way laws are now, you might have to. Things happen with kids, there's no getting around it, but undisciplined darlings are not nice to be around and tend to cause excessive damages. Best of luck to you in your role as landlords and in your new home.

Fortunately we do have a say as to who we rent to. If we had five or more rentals that would not be the case. We do credit and background checks and the rent and deposit help to keep down the riff-raff, although some of them still respond to the ad.

We bought the property 15 years ago and designed and built a home several years later. It is nestled in a forested area at the southern tip of the Rocky Mountains, ten miles from downtown Santa Fe. Well, I know you like pictures:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/50.../6859774_zpid/

Thank you for your good wishes and happy
claireweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:49 PM   #17
sandylee222
Banned

I hate the situation like this, i can bear for one or two times, but at the third time, i would tell my feeling honestly.
sandylee222 is offline   Reply With Quote