Old 07-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #31
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,000 Times in 2,513 Posts
Originally Posted by claireweber View Post

My husband found a link on the internet explaining how to season stainless, so he'll be doing that to the new skillets, if it really works I'll be sure to pass the link along.

Hope everyone is having a good 4th of July weekend. Happy
Seasoning stainless is new to me, I think I might try it.

Over my dead body! I can leave it to you in my will.
Careful who you say that to. You could encounter a homicidal maniac lusting after your cast iron. Not to worry, because 1) I don't know where you are, and 2) planning the whole thing would take too much brain power. Do I get a copy of your will?

Excuse me while I save and print this thread, will a bequest on a forum hold up in court?

Enjoy the rest of your weekend too!

ETA I forgot my manners, they were lost in the lust and greed. You are so sweet, Claire, thank you for including me in your will. Alas, I'm sure I'm much older than you and will never collect. Live long and prosper, as Spock said.

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #32
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Seasoning stainless is new to me, I think I might try it.

Careful who you say that to. You could encounter a homicidal maniac lusting after your cast iron. Not to worry, because 1) I don't know where you are, and 2) planning the whole thing would take too much brain power. Do I get a copy of your will?

Excuse me while I save and print this thread, will a bequest on a forum hold up in court?

I just checked w ith my DH and this is the same video he was viewing earlier. I'll let you know how it works out

Enjoy the rest of your weekend too!

ETA I forgot my manners, they were lost in the lust and greed. You are so sweet, Claire, thank you for including me in your will. Alas, I'm sure I'm much older than you and will never collect. Live long and prosper, as Spock said.
This is the same video my DH viewed earlier, I'll let you know how it works out
claireweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #33
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

This is the same video my DH viewed earlier, I'll let you know how it works out
Great minds! I think it was at the top on the Google search.

My skillet is cooling. I do see a couple of browned spots on the bottom. Honestly, I didn't use one from my set but another that I'd picked up at a yard sale or thrift store. After cools I'll try some scrambled eggs in it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #34
claireweber
Working the Gusset

My skillet is cooling. I do see a couple of browned spots on the bottom. Honestly, I didn't use one from my set but another that I'd picked up at a yard sale or thrift store. After cools I'll try some scrambled eggs in it. I'll let you know how it goes.
Sounds like that is the pan you want to try it out on. I think my DH said you let it cool completely and then wipe it, is that right? What type of oil did you use? I can hardly wait to hear about those eggs, if they just slide effortlessly like one of the posters commented
Old 07-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #35
claireweber
Working the Gusset

DH said that the brown spots could have been caused by either heating it too high or too long, or maybe not enough oil. He said that you want the oil to pool in the bottom of the pan, perhaps the bottom of the pan was exposed to the air.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #36
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

DH said that the brown spots could have been caused by either heating it too high or too long, or maybe not enough oil. He said that you want the oil to pool in the bottom of the pan, perhaps the bottom of the pan was exposed to the air.
Your DH is right. My burner doesn't sit level and unless I'd used a lot of oil (I used whatever vegetable oil is in my kitchen) which I didn't even think of until I saw the browning, I'll have to make do with brown spots.

Seasoning Stainless
As Seen On Youtube

I cooked my eggs and wiped the skillet out with a dry cloth. The only places I need to wash at all are where the eggs got sloshed above the seasoning line. The eggs really did not stick at all. It worked as advertised. I'm impressed...nay, amazed! From a dyed in the wool, die hard skeptic, that counts as high praise. YMMV

Old 07-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #37
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Your DH is right. My burner doesn't sit level and unless I'd used a lot of oil (I used whatever vegetable oil is in my kitchen) which I didn't even think of until I saw the browning, I'll have to make do with brown spots.

Seasoning Stainless
As Seen On Youtube

I cooked my eggs and wiped the skillet out with a dry cloth. The only places I need to wash at all are where the eggs got sloshed above the seasoning line. The eggs really did not stick at all. It worked as advertised. I'm impressed...nay, amazed! From a dyed in the wool, die hard skeptic, that counts as high praise. YMMV

Sweet! When I figure out how to hang the cast iron I will photograph them and post them here.
The Following User Says Thank You to claireweber For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (07-06-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #38
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Sweet! When I figure out how to hang the cast iron I will photograph them and post them here.
I eagerly await your display of heavy metal.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #39
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by jinxnit55 View Post
I have a set of Kitchen Craft stainless steel cookware and it is fantastic! My folks had a set when I was growing up, so when it came time to get my own stuff, I was dismayed by how expensive it was. Luckily, a roommate of mine decided to spring for a set. Then she lost her job so I took over the payments on the set, so it became mine.

It's pretty amazing stuff, because you can stack it on burners and the heat goes through the core up through all the pots. It saves vitamins and minerals in the food because you don't have to add much water.

We also have cast iron skillets, and a dutch oven that we bake sourdough bread in. I figure that between the two kinds I am set for life! (Kitchen Craft has a lifetime guarantee). If the house ever catches on fire I will try to make it out w/ the Kitchen Craft!
Wow! I checked out the Kitchen Craft cookware, lucky you, to have purchased up this set when you were young, so many years to enjoy it. I hope you have taken out insurance protection for it in case of fire Were you born in 1955? I was wondering b/c of the name you use.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #40
claireweber
Working the Gusset

So we bought the Wolfgang Puck set
from Costco. My husband seasoned a couple of the skillets, you are not supposed to wash with soap to maintain the finish; I like the interiors to look clean, so I've since washed them. So far, what I like the most is the small saucepan, it is the perfect size for steaming vegetables for my DH and me, it and the two other pots have lids with strainers, plus the rims have pouring spouts I like having a set of what are most commonly used pots and pans, and my pot rack doesn't look cluttered anymore . And the set was very affordable.

The thing I don't like, is that after using them on the gas cooktop, even after using Bon-Ami on the bottoms, they didn't shine. I'm using Wright's Copper Cream now to clean the bottoms and it seems to do the trick.