Old 07-12-2013, 08:08 AM   #1
mwobith
Casting On

Help with pattern
Need help with this baby jacket pattern! I want to knit the cardigan, but do not know if it is knitted in parts (how many parts) or in one piece? If knitted in parts, how do I proceed? What needs sewing? Do I knit 2 sleeves and 2 fronts separately? If knitted in one piece, where do I start? Any help would be appreciated!

The pattern can be worked for a pullover sweater with front underlay, cardigan, or bolero. I would like to knit the cardigan.

Pattern:

SWEATER Using 3 1/2 mm needles, cast on 55 st. K 5 rows. Change to 4 mm needles and st st, starting a k row. Work 31 rows. Divide for front opening Next row (WS): p 34, turn and leave rem sts on a holder for second side.

Last edited by mwobith : 07-12-2013 at 04:24 PM. Reason: typo
mwobith is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,333 Times in 3,018 Posts
Welcome to Knitting Help!
This pattern is essentially knit in one piece. You start at the bottom fronts, cast on for the sleeves, shape the neck opening, cast off the sleeves and then knit down the back to the lower edge (top down on the schematic). The only sewing will be the seam at each sleeve and along each side. The directions for the cardigan come partway down the pattern instructions. Instead of casting of for the full front (55sts) You'll be making 2 fronts (34sts each) with separate balls of yarn. It'll probably be easier to knit these fronts at the same time, keeping the yarn balls separate. They'll join up after the neck is complete when you're ready to knit down the back.
So that we don't run into copyright problems, could you edit the pattern so that the complete pattern doesn't appear, pleae?
Old 07-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
mwobith
Casting On

Cast-on question
This would mean that I would cast on two separate front pieces 34 stitches each on one set of circulars? Is that correct? Thank you so much for replying!
Old 07-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,333 Times in 3,018 Posts
That's what the pattern sounds like, left and right front at 34sts each for the cardi. The 34 sts gives quite a bit of overlap for the fronts but that's what the pattern is calling for.
Yes cast them onto one circular using 2 separate bals of yarn. If you work them both at the same time you'll be sure that they're even and the shaping and sleeves are on similar rows.
Good luck with it and post a photo if you'd like. We'd love to see it.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
mwobith
Casting On

Thank you for your help. I'm knitting away and having fun.