Old 07-13-2013, 11:26 PM   #31
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
So you find Continental faster? It's faster for me because it's the way I learned and I can do knits in English, purls are still not happening for me. Anyhow, I found this interesting. I don't think one method is better than another, I do agree that if it ain't broke don't fix it. I recently got the Norwegian purl down and I think my tension may be better with it. Thanks for your comments. I look forward to seeing your shawl.
Well, I don't find Continental faster, having failed miserably at it....but I've witnessed it to be faster. Wish I could say I've "experienced it" being faster....but when I've tried, I'm all thumbs. Slug Slow. Gauge, train wreck.

Have you witnessed how lightening fast Eunny Jang can knit??? She demonstrates stuff on Knitting Daily TV. She's a Continental knitter, and from watching her, I think it's so fast because of the minimal hand movements. I knit, throw, knit, throw, knit, throw...while Eunny flicks, flicks, flicks, flicks. Wow. But she's commented that she was taught Continental from childhood.

It's so funny to watch Kristin Omdahl knit! She's a master of crochet and a great crochet designer, but she knits as well. She teaches the crochet segments on Knitting Daily TV. But in the Season 10 (DVD's) Kristin is teaching a knitalong for a knitted shawl she designed. She holds her knitting needles like
she's holding an ax! It's so hilarious to watch her! But she gets wonderful results, so who cares. But, like I said...it tickles me no end. I love her, so I don't care how she manhandles those circs!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
dturner (07-14-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-14-2013, 05:49 PM   #32
dturner
Turning the Heel

Finally finished! The dimensions before blocking were 50"x21" On the blocking board, it's 67"x26" The instructions ask you to begin the 1x1 ribbing at 46", but I found it difficult to measure this edge. I wish the measurement for the depth had been included in the pattern, because I think that the spine might be easier to measure OTN. Anyway, I love the shawl! It' 82 degrees and very humid today, but I put it on for a quick pic.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_maraonme1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	56800  Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_marapreblocking.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	56801  
dturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #33
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Originally Posted by dturner View Post
Finally finished! The dimensions before blocking were 50"x21" On the blocking board, it's 67"x26" The instructions ask you to begin the 1x1 ribbing at 46", but I found it difficult to measure this edge. I wish the measurement for the depth had been included in the pattern, because I think that the spine might be easier to measure OTN. Anyway, I love the shawl! It' 82 degrees and very humid today, but I put it on for a quick pic.
Beautiful work! And from what I can see, it's a perfect size, too! Yup, your yarn and color choice is a real winner! Be proud, my sister!!!.

My Mara is done, too. Before blocking it's 55" across the widest part, and 28" down the spine. I really have to be careful when I block it next week.

I think I'll lay it down on the blocking board "dry"....put pins outline all 'round it....then lift it up and wash/rinse/towel dry. Then lay it down between my pins outline and coax it back within those confines. I've done that before with fibers that want to triple their dimensions when wet.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #34
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,083 Times in 2,594 Posts
That is beautiful! Well done! Wearing it won't be boring even if knitting it was. I it!

Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance
...the five stages of frogging.
GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
dturner (07-14-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #35
Woofens
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Woofens Send a message via MSN to Woofens Send a message via Yahoo to Woofens Send a message via Skype™ to Woofens
Gorgeous!!

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Woofens

The only difference between an experienced knitter and new knitter is that the experienced knitter makes bigger mistakes faster. Be bold; there are no terrible consequences in knitting.

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

OTN:
Blocks in Blocks Afgan for Taz
Pet snuggles for charity
BonBons fingerless mitts for Sarah
Dorm socks for Skye-finished
Dallas Cowboys Man Hat for John-finished
and as always, dish cloths.
Woofens is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Woofens For This Useful Post:
dturner (07-14-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #36
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Love this D, it's beautiful! Well worth the effort.
claireweber is offline   Reply With Quote