Old 07-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
smithywilko
Casting On

To alternate or not to alternate?!
Just following my pattern for the newborn cardigan I'm part way through making and it says 'K 3 rows without shaping. Continue increasing at neck edge as set by inc row (covered earlier in pattern) on next and following 3 alternate rows', which I've done but then it says 'then at neck edge of following 2 rows'. does this mean I keep doing the alternate rows for the 2 or are they 2 rows one after the other? I thought the latter so have done that and then carried on but later int he pattern when it checks in as to which side I should be working on, it says 'Right side' and I'm looking at the wrong side! Don't want to go any further if I've made a mistake but I'm confused as to why if it's still alternate rows the pattern didn't just say for five rows rather than three then two.

Thanks in advance for your help!
smithywilko is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
Dclutterchique
1st Leg of the Journey

If I've worked it out correctly your "next and following 3 alternate rows" increase rows would have been worked on the right side with an even wrong side row between each one. The "following 2 rows" then come straight after the 'following 3rd' row ie a wrong side increase row and then a right side increase row.

FO: Downton Hat

A sweater of a thousand yards begins with a single stitch. Lao-tzu's Granny
Dclutterchique is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dclutterchique For This Useful Post:
smithywilko (07-17-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
smithywilko
Casting On

Thanks for your reply Dclutterchique. Looking back on the pattern, when shaping the neck it said to knit 11 rows ending with a RS row. I understand this to be the right side facing me on the last row? (have only been knitting for a few weeks, so I'm a complete beginner I'm afraid!). Then it says Inc row (WS): K1, M1, k to end. which I've done. Then k 3 rows without shaping, so that would be a RS, WS, RS? Then cont increasing at neck edge as set by inc row on next and foll 3 alt rows, then at neck edge of foll 2 rows. So I think this is where I've gone wring perhaps? Because if I work back I've done the increase row on a WS after the three rows without shaping? And thereafter has been the incorrect side? Not sure I can get my head around this!
Old 07-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,420 Times in 3,099 Posts
You know, an extra row here or there isn't really going to make a big difference in this sweater so it may not be worth ripping out if you're not on the exactly correct side according to the instructions. Maybe just add in an extra row to get yourself on pattern.
If I write it out I get:
WS-Inc row (WS): K1, M1, k to end
RS, WS, RS-are the k 3 rows without shaping (as you say, too)
WS, RS, WS, RS, WS, RS, WS-cont increasing at neck edge as set by inc row on next and foll 3 alt rows
RS, WS-then at neck edge of foll 2 rows (yes, consecutive rows)
Wherever you are now, work across so that you get to a RS row for the next directions.
Can you give us a pattern link or a name of the pattern? Love to see what this sweater looks like.
Dclutterchique (07-17-2013), GrumpyGramma (07-17-2013), smithywilko (07-17-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
Dclutterchique
1st Leg of the Journey

Now you've given some more information on the pattern I can see that you were correct to do most of the increases on the wrong side. When you said in your 1st post that the pattern says you will be working on the right side (after doing the increases), I presumed this meant the final increase row was worked on the right side and worked backwards from this incorrect 'fact'.

Just to give you a morale boost you got it right when following all the instructions from "knit 11 rows ending with a RS row ..." to "... then at neck edge of foll 2 rows"

FO: Downton Hat

A sweater of a thousand yards begins with a single stitch. Lao-tzu's Granny
Dclutterchique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
smithywilko
Casting On

Thanks salmonmac, really can't see where I've gone wrong so I think I may do as you've suggested and do an extra row to get back to what the book says. The pattern is from a DK book called 'baby and toddler knits made easy'. Found this on Google images... http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bab...l%3B1327%3B800
Old 07-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #7
smithywilko
Casting On

Thank you ladies, think I might have a look at this again in the morning with a fresh pair of eyes! It's a gift for a friend's baby due on the 25th and it's gone brilliantly up until now so I was hoping to get through it error free but looks like I might have to improvise if I can't work out where I've gone wrong! Thank you so much for your help and advice though, this is the first time I've used this site and I'm so glad I have!
Old 07-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #8
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,420 Times in 3,099 Posts
Glad to have you join us and looking forward to hearing from you again.
Julie, thanks for all the help!
Dclutterchique (07-18-2013)