Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
claireweber
Working the Gusset

WIP - Lala's Simple Shawl
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...s-simple-shawl

The shawl pictured on ravelry is worked in a bulky yarn and a size 10 needle. I’ve wanted to make a triangular shawl for ages and I thought the colors and texture of the yarn I’ve chosen for this project would be perfect.

Knit in Araucania Lontue – There are no dye lots for this yarn; I wound the skeins into balls to be able to discern the color differences. This shawl is knit from the top down so I am using the lightest colored yarn first; the color gradations should work well.

Long tail cast on size 7 needle – There is a five stitch cast-on and I wanted it to be firm, tightly casting on and four sizes up from the working needle size worked well.

Knitted with a size 3 needle – The yarn tag suggests using a number 6 needle, I don’t know if this is right or not, the yarn is so thin, and spun with slubs. I found a kit on the web for a top using a size 4 needle. With the color changes and the texture, I wanted to use the seed stitch to show these off; and did a seed stitch swatch first using size 4, then did one using size 3, settling on the 3.

Pattern Modifications:

Knitting the seed stitch rather than the garter stitch.

Knitting last stitch of every row in back loop.

Knitting middle stitch in purl rather than knit.

I am considering adding a ruffle to the edges; this yarn is knitting up at 6 stitches and 10 rows per inch, so that would be a lot of stitches to bind off.

In the first photo I am winding the yarn into balls in the motel room on one of our overnight stops. None of the furniture was going to work for setting up the swift and the ball winder and in looking around the room I realized the drawer back would suit my purposes; it would need to be removed and set on its front. As I was winding, DH had picked up his I-phone and I asked him if he was checking messages, then I realized he was setting up to take pictures

The second photo is a view of the project completed thus far.

The third photo is a close-up, hopefully it will show the texture of the stitches.

I have never worked an entire project in size 3 needles before; I feel like I am all thumbs
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	RMAR 2013 Rio Rancho Hotel Room.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	56839  Click image for larger version

Name:	LaLa's Simple Shawl Araucania Lontue.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	56840  Click image for larger version

Name:	Lala's Simple Shawl Close Up.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	56841  

Last edited by claireweber : 08-05-2013 at 03:36 PM.
claireweber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to claireweber For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (08-02-2013), DavidSydney63 (07-28-2013)