Old 07-30-2013, 11:29 PM   #1
SisterSpooky
Casting On

:::Desperately Need Help!::: Pattern Question....
Hello. I am new to the forum, I discovered this forum as I was desperately seeking a solution to my knitting dilemma. I'm hoping someone here can help me with this problem...I am losing my darn mind here! lol

Quote:
Special stitches:
CBC3: Slip 3 sts to cable needle and hold to back. Knit the next 3 Sts, and then knit the 3 Sts from the cable needle.
SKP: slip next stitch, K1, pass slipped stitch over
SK2P: Slip next stitch, knit 2 together, pass slipped stitch over

Pattern:
Cast on 32
Knit 2 rows.
Row 1: K2, K6*YO, SKP, K1, K2tog, YO, K6, repeat to last 2 sts. K2.
Row 2: and all even rows: K2, purl to last 2 Sts, K2
Row 3: K2, K7 * YO, SK2P, YO, K8, YO, SK2P, YO, K7, K2
Row 5: repeat row 1
Row 7:K2, CBC3,K1,YO,SK2P,YO,K1,CB3,K1,YO,SK2P,YO,K1,CB3,K2
Repeat until desired length ending on Row 4.
Okay...now here is the problem...

I've tried knitting this thing twice and the same thing has happened both times. I've been very careful to make sure I am not doing anything incorrect to cause this, but yet...it happens. The pattern begins to increase by at least 1 stitch (by row 14). I've ripped it out (thinking I just did something wrong) and then the next round I was VERY careful to make sure I was counting and doing everything spot on and low and behold....it happened again!

Can anyone tell me what is going on? Why does it keep happening? Is the pattern flawed or am I making a mistake in the knitting and just don't realize it? Please help! I love this pattern design and I really want to knit a scarf for someone, but I don't know enough about knitting to fix this problem. If it were crochet, I would know exactly what to do...but I am not as experienced with knitting to be able to re-write or repair something like this. :(

Please help!!!!!!!!
SisterSpooky is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-31-2013, 12:40 AM   #2
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by SisterSpooky View Post
Hello. I am new to the forum, I discovered this forum as I was desperately seeking a solution to my knitting dilemma. I'm hoping someone here can help me with this problem...I am losing my darn mind here! lol

Okay...now here is the problem...

I've tried knitting this thing twice and the same thing has happened both times. I've been very careful to make sure I am not doing anything incorrect to cause this, but yet...it happens. The pattern begins to increase by at least 1 stitch (by row 14). I've ripped it out (thinking I just did something wrong) and then the next round I was VERY careful to make sure I was counting and doing everything spot on and low and behold....it happened again!

Can anyone tell me what is going on? Why does it keep happening? Is the pattern flawed or am I making a mistake in the knitting and just don't realize it? Please help! I love this pattern design and I really want to knit a scarf for someone, but I don't know enough about knitting to fix this problem. If it were crochet, I would know exactly what to do...but I am not as experienced with knitting to be able to re-write or repair something like this. :(

Please help!!!!!!!!

Hi there and welcome! There are alot of experts here, and I'm sure they'll chime in shortly. The math seems to work out, with YOs to balance out SKP and SK2P. If you can post a picture of your work in progress that will go a long way towards figuring out what is happening.

Just guessing off of the top of my head, it could be the increase is coming from the first stitch. It often wraps itself up (the silly little bugger that it is ) and looks like 2 stitches when it's really only 1 stitch.

I still have to pay a goodly bit of attention to make sure I don't increase accidentally in my first stitch.

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises."
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justplaincharlotte For This Useful Post:
claireweber (08-10-2013)
Old 07-31-2013, 05:40 AM   #3
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,287 Times in 2,974 Posts
Hi and welcome to KH!
JPC's suggestion about the extra end stitch is very good and a likely source of the problem.
One other thing I can suggest is that you count stitches at the end of every row. As soon as you find an increase over 32sts, go back and check the row. You can name each stitch as you check it, the YO, the skp or sk2p, the end stitch, etc and see if you can pinpoint the error. Inadvertantly doing a skp in place of the sk2p would also give an increase so check the decrease part of that stitch, too.
We've all been there and are happy to try and help. Good luck with your scarf.
claireweber (08-10-2013), justplaincharlotte (07-31-2013)
Old 07-31-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
Marina1109
1st Leg of the Journey

I completely understand your frustration of frogging, then restarting only to find out you end up with more stitches pattern calls for.

When I'm knitting a new project, I used stitch markers between each repeat until I get used to it. PM is the easiest way (for me) to figure our where I made the accidental mistake.
Once the pattern starts to take form, it's easier to see if or where a mistake happen, stitch markers might no longer be needed.

Take care!

Don't take your organs to heaven, heaven knows we need them here

Every person can save up to 8 lives and help/enhance the lives of many more.
To sign up to become an organ donor:
http://donatelife.net/
Marina1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marina1109 For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (07-31-2013)
Old 07-31-2013, 05:26 PM   #5
DogCatMom
Knitting the Flap

I can't endorse stitch markers highly/strongly enough; they've saved my sanity too often! Use them for marking edges (borders) or each repeat. When you get to rows with more than 200 stitches (for example), even if those rows are nothing but K200, PM every 25 sts. That way, when--not if--you're interrupted during the row, you won't have to count all the way from the beginning of the row to know where you are. Put one at the center of a row if, for some reason, knowing where the center is is important.

Stitch markers are an incredible investment. For very little money, they yield an amazing return in confidence, knowledge, and skill development. I only learned to knit in May 2011 but learned about stitch markers almost immediately. I was knitting lace within four or five months b/c I knew I wouldn't get lost.

I'm sure you'll figure out the source of the extra stitch very quickly with stitch markers!
DogCatMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:25 PM   #6
SisterSpooky
Casting On

Wow! Thank you all so very much for each suggestion/tip!

This has certainly been a frustrating project for me as I haven't been able to figure out what/how/where things went wrong. I will certainly apply the suggestion of using stitch markers (I have never really had a use for them before, I guess now is the time to start using them).

RE: Taking a photo....

This is the scarf before ripping it out...again.
SisterSpooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:52 AM   #7
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by SisterSpooky View Post
Wow! Thank you all so very much for each suggestion/tip!

This has certainly been a frustrating project for me as I haven't been able to figure out what/how/where things went wrong. I will certainly apply the suggestion of using stitch markers (I have never really had a use for them before, I guess now is the time to start using them).

RE: Taking a photo....

This is the scarf before ripping it out...again.
That's a lovely pattern stitch, Spooky! It will make a beautiful scarf. The end stitch shown looks good. Is that the row with the extra stitch? If so, salmonmac's suggestion of checking each stitch on that row is an excellent one. Another suggestion is to take your work to your local yarn store and ask them to take a look at the row. Often your LYS has someone working there who knits. If so, thats another option for you to try.

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises."
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:05 AM   #8
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,287 Times in 2,974 Posts
This is a good project in which to use a lifeline. At least it will prevent having to rip out to the beginning. Use it every row until you (or someone looking over your shoulder, as Charlotte suggests) figure out the mistake. You should be able to catch which row has the error and that'll help narrow it down.
Have you chacked to make sure you're doing the skp and sk2p correctly?.The sk2p is a knit 2 together not just a knit 2 stitches.
The scarf so far does look like a lovely pattern and well worth getting past this initial problem.