Old 08-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #11
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Are you wanting something more decorative or just a nicely finished edge? A single crochet edge would be a nice finish. A scalloped edge would be a little more decorative but still fairly subdued. Crab stitch? A V stitch border might be in keeping with the rest of the design. Sc ch1 across? I don't think you need anything very complicated. I might consider 2 or 3 rows of knitted seed stitch. My 2 cents. FWIW I look forward to seeing this finished!
Good question. I am going for a nicely finished edge; I've considered a picot edge of some sort, but question how this would flow with the rest of the shawl. I just found a video with the crab stitch, that is an amazing stitch. I'm pretty certain that I will be binding off the ruffle on a RS row, which would leave me in the perfect position to use this stitch.

Iím excited Ė I now understand the construction of this shawl in the knitting of it. This is my first triangle shawl, first shawl ever. Iíve never knitted a project of this size before.

I just finished a purl row on the ruffle, I didn't time it, but it was definitely over a half an hour, the RS row goes faster than that. "One row at a time." I'm looking forward to seeing the ruffle as it develops

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #12
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Well this will do it then, a simple crocheted edge will solve my dilemma I can even start fooling around with different edges before the ruffle is done because I can attach anywhere along the neckline Sweet!

TYSM
Old 08-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #13
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,131 Times in 2,640 Posts
Cool. You figured it out. What do you consider a simple crocheted edge? I got sidetracked looking at I-cord...again. It just fascinates me.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #14
claireweber
Working the Gusset

A simple crocheted edge, I didn't answer that question. That one backwards stitch is a simple edge, picot is simple, and that video I ran across, small shell stitch, those are all simple edges to me. I fooled around a little with the neck edge, and am still working on the purl (WS) row following the KFB increase row.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #15
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,131 Times in 2,640 Posts
I agree, those are all simple edges. I've done a few rather more complicated borders but on those things, it was all about the border. Your choice will be pretty easy to work and I think will be quite appropriate. It will finish the edge and add to, not detract from, the rest of the shawl. I found the reverse crochet or crab stitch really hard at first but then it was easy. I like it a lot on some things but I think it might be a little stiffer than you want.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #16
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Wow! So one of the revelations I had was that what makes a stretchy bind off, edge, etc. is the amount of yarn used in it I never realized this was the reason before now it seems so obvious, very exciting. I've always bound off in a needle three to four sizes larger than the one used for knitting the project, so it made for a stretchy edge, but I never knew the why of it.

So keeping this in mind, thank you @GG, your comment about the crab stitch gave me pause to ponder, I will be able to figure out the neck edge. I tried the small shell stitch this morning, and it looks good; the project will need to be off the needles for me to determine hook size and spacing, I think I can make it work.

Thank you all!