Old 08-16-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
claireweber
Working the Gusset

How do I keep my stockinette stitch ruffle from curling?
I am getting close to finishing the ruffle on my shawl. The pattern I found for knitting a ruffle instructed using an eyelet row followed by garter stitch, but I would really rather not follow this direction. Would it work for me to bind off and then crochet an edging? Would this keep the edge from curling?

I miscalculated earlier, the number of stitches in each row is right around 1400, not well over. I attempted to count the stitches and couldn't get it quite right, then figured I'd rather be anyway. I thought it would take weeks to finish the ruffle but happily it will take less time than I anticipated.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ruffle Nearly Complete.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	56936  

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-16-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,248 Times in 2,744 Posts
What crochet edging do you have in mind? I'm not sure it will stop the curling but it might help lessen it. The wider the edge, the more curl you'll compensate for? I think some curl might be acceptable on a ruffle if it's not too much?

That's very beautiful work BTW!

I'm having trouble counting to 79 or 8 or 11 or 6 tonight, never mind 1400 give or take!

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:25 PM   #3
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Aw, thank you

I tried counting last night and find myself counting the same ten over again......27, 28, 29, 20 and then there was the 16, 17, 18, 14, 15, 16 count. I'm still increasing by 2 stitches every other row so it should be over 1400, but who's counting? Not me, at least not again

I wonder if the weight of the ruffle might help to keep it from curling, as well as the blocking. I suppose the edge on the ruffle could be different than the one for the neckline, just as long as they didn't conflict. I could do the seed stitch for several rows, but I'm not sure I would like the look, and at this point I don't want to be any rows, I think I would simply and not because I lost my stitch count

What about that ruffled bag you did? Were the ruffles done in the stockinette stitch?
Old 08-17-2013, 12:03 AM   #4
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,248 Times in 2,744 Posts
Good question about the ruffles on the bag I made. It's a year or more since I made it and I didn't get a picture even, if I think to ask my GD if she still has it I should be able to see it and find out. I probably still have the pattern I used but don't know where it is. I'm looking at rav but nothing looks quite right.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
claireweber
Working the Gusset

I found this link on ravelry:

Layered Ruffled Bag

The edges of the first bag, upper left, don't appear to curl, although from what I see, the other ones do. I wonder if the first one was blocked.

I found a knitted picot edging that I could use on the ruffle, goes like this:

Bind off 2 stitches, *slip stitch back to LH needle, cast on 3 stitches using the cable cast-on method, then bind off 5 stitches* repeat to end.

I'm going to try it on a practice piece.