Old 08-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
kayeknit
Turning the Heel

Painful projects??
Have you ever worked on a project that made you so miserable that you were on the point of giving up knitting altogether? Why did you hate it so much? What did you do... Did you finish the project, or chuck it? How did it turn out in the end?

I am working on a sock that's making me as mad as a hatter. It's taken me FOREVER to finish the first one, and it's too small, but I would never consider ripping out and beginning this nightmare again. As per my personality, I have to at least finish the one I started (I'm nearly done). The pattern is "Embossed Leaves" and I think I must be the only person who hates it (for so many reasons!). Anyway, I seriously doubt I'll ever have the will in me to knit the second sock...
Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. (1 Thessalonians 5:15-18)

Only a life lived for others is worth living.
- Albert Einstein
kayeknit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kayeknit For This Useful Post:
duetarguene (08-28-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,196 Times in 2,697 Posts
I'd frog the dang thing and use the yarn for something else. I do like to finish projects and one sock does not a finished project make, so unless I will do the 2nd (I never have that problem as I knit them 2 @ time) there is absolutely no point in finishing just one.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
kayeknit (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #3
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

My miserable projects have been a baby hat, a dog sweater, and leg warmers. I also started a pinwheel blanket and a pi blanket. These are all patterns worked in the round.

I finished the baby hat and the dog sweater, started but could not bring myself to finish the second dog sweater, and quit the first legwarmer at bind-off. I frogged two attempts each on the pinwheel and pi blankets.

What I decided was that I don't like to knit in the round.

I may try it again later, but I think I need more practice than what I am able to give it.

Because I don't have a lot of time for knitting (and practicing), I'm also sticking to simple knit/purl patterns (no fancy lacework) so that I can put it down and pick it up days later and not have to fuss with trying to figure out where in the pattern I left off.

I have a lacy shawl pattern that I'm dying to make as a runner for my dresser, but I know that kind of a pattern is just going to frustrate me right now and I've put it aside. Not until "someday", but until either:

a) work takes less of my time,
b) the kids take less of my time,
c) I quit caring about the state of my house or
d) it becomes more important to me than it is right now.

I might be 80 years old, but one or all of those things are bound to happen *someday*!

I have a lot of fun and simple projects to keep myself busy with in the meantime.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sakura-panda For This Useful Post:
kayeknit (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #4
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by kayeknit View Post
Have you ever worked on a project that made you so miserable that you were on the point of giving up knitting altogether? Why did you hate it so much? What did you do... Did you finish the project, or chuck it? How did it turn out in the end?

I am working on a sock that's making me as mad as a hatter. It's taken me FOREVER to finish the first one, and it's too small, but I would never consider ripping out and beginning this nightmare again. As per my personality, I have to at least finish the one I started (I'm nearly done). The pattern is "Embossed Leaves" and I think I must be the only person who hates it (for so many reasons!). Anyway, I seriously doubt I'll ever have the will in me to knit the second sock...

You have one sock, and loathe knitting the pattern? Why not consider using the one sock as a Christmast stocking? My first itchy scratchy awful yarn sock is now my dogs stocking. Just a thought... Don't kill yourself knitting something you hate!

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justplaincharlotte For This Useful Post:
kayeknit (08-20-2013), Woofens (08-19-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 04:30 AM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,467 Times in 3,143 Posts
I agree with the above. There are too many wonderful, enjoyable projects out there and too little time. I'm fairly compulsive about finishing what I start but there's a limit. Time to move on.
kayeknit (08-20-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 11:26 PM   #6
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I'd frog the dang thing and use the yarn for something else. I do like to finish projects and one sock does not a finished project make, so unless I will do the 2nd (I never have that problem as I knit them 2 @ time) there is absolutely no point in finishing just one.
You are smart, GG! I did make 2 of the only pair of socks I knit, one after the other, but I have 4 or 5 single baby booties that will probably never have mates!
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:15 AM   #7
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,196 Times in 2,697 Posts
Originally Posted by jinxnit55 View Post
You are smart, GG! I did make 2 of the only pair of socks I knit, one after the other, but I have 4 or 5 single baby booties that will probably never have mates!
Thanks, Jinx. I do mine 2 @ time on ML, Jan works hers separately but will work on one and then the other. If I did them DPN I'd have to have 2 sets of needles so I could have both socks going at the same time or learn to do a sock inside a sock. I'm not at all sure that last method and I would get along well.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote