Old 08-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #11
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I prefer dishcloths that are about 6" or 7" squares. Larger or smaller pieces are still useful for other things. What pattern are you using for your place mats? I was playing with blanket rib stitch yesterday (yeah, making a dishcloth) and think it would make a nice place mat.

As a matter of fact, I am using the Basket Rib Hand Towel pattern -- is that the same one that you were doing?

Ravelry Link
Blog Link

It's about 10 inches wide and has two too many stitches on it (so the pattern is not even) and I'm looking to frog and restart again.

I've never frogged a pattern so many times (and for no good reason)! I must be reluctant to finish it and let it go. I shouldn't be, since I want to make at least one batch of six matching placemats.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #12
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Woofens View Post
I mainly eyeball mine too, that or fold it on the diagonal until it makes a triangle, so they are usually about 7 inches square. The Ballband cloth I just finished is much larger than that and not square, caused it was turning into a towel.
LOL That made me giggle.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #13
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by justplaincharlotte View Post
I like mine between 9 to 12" square. Dishcloths in my house double as kitchen towels.

I used to use kitchen towels for napkins; when I realized I was doing that, I switched from paper napkins to cloth napkins. Then the kids came and I was constantly washing clean napkins because I couldn't tell if they'd used them; we're back to paper since it's easier to tell with paper whether or not they've touched them. I look forward to going back to cloth though -- I think they work better!

Then I stared using kitchen towels for placemats, so I bought some cotton placemats at Kohl's. They worked really well, but I only bought two sets (of six) and now that I want more, I can't find them any where.

I'm not sure what I'll need kitchen towels for after this. They'll be restricted to just wiping water off the counter and sink, until I decide to start making dishcloths!
Old 08-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #14
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,191 Times in 2,695 Posts
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
As a matter of fact, I am using the Basket Rib Hand Towel pattern -- is that the same one that you were doing?

Ravelry Link
Blog Link

It's about 10 inches wide and has two too many stitches on it (so the pattern is not even) and I'm looking to frog and restart again.

I've never frogged a pattern so many times (and for no good reason)! I must be reluctant to finish it and let it go. I shouldn't be, since I want to make at least one batch of six matching placemats.
I like that pattern. I've about decided I don't like the blanket rib. It's a knitter's prerogative to change her mind. Blanket Rib

I use cloth napkins. Maybe I'll just knit up a new batch since the ones I have could probably register to vote. When the kids were younger and I figured the napkins could be used more than once we each had our own napkin ring.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #15
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,779 Times in 7,145 Posts
I guessed 6-7", but I eyeball mine and several of them are rectangular so in some I knit till I got sick of it and quit. Fortunately it doesn't matter with dishcloths.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #16
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,191 Times in 2,695 Posts
Jan, we all seem to have that in common. If it's a size that works, then it's the right size. I'm glad I'm not the only one who makes them that way. I do try to end a pattern repeat on the right row.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #17
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Jan, we all seem to have that in common. If it's a size that works, then it's the right size. I'm glad I'm not the only one who makes them that way. I do try to end a pattern repeat on the right row.
Agreed. Making them diagonal would keep them square, but rectangle works fine. I should make some new ones and share. I've got too many WIP though and nothing will get done if I start another!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 08-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #18
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

What? You all don't do a gauge swatch before you make your dishclothes to make sure they all come out the same every time?

I did figure it wouldn't be exact, but I thought there might still be a common range of sizes.

How about the number of strands? Mostly single strand or double strand? I've used one strand in the past, but I like how the two strands feel in my hands right now and wonder if I should have been doing that all along. Maybe I just like a thicker cloth.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #19
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

I use one strand only. When they are too thick they don't dry well and get smelly quicker IMO. I think wet ones probably breed bacteria quicker, but I'm not sure. Anyway, one strand and not too tightly knit for me.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 08-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #20
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

I like that pattern. I've about decided I don't like the blanket rib. It's a knitter's prerogative to change her mind. Blanket Rib

I use cloth napkins. Maybe I'll just knit up a new batch since the ones I have could probably register to vote. When the kids were younger and I figured the napkins could be used more than once we each had our own napkin ring.

That looks like it comes out nice and soft and squishy. Maybe too squishy for not-blankets?

Napkin rings are a clever idea -- I hadn't thought of that! Still, we're committed now and it's nice that when the classrooms ask for more napkins, I can just tuck a bundle into the appropriate backpack, plus they're handy for all those inevitable potlucks that come with after school activities.