Old 08-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #11
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,038 Times in 2,550 Posts
Originally Posted by MissMurder View Post
Thank you for all who helped. I don't think I'll block it though since i've never blocked anything before, don't want to screw it up and the only person who will see it in it's entirety will be my husband... I still don't know where to find Bias tape of any kind, I searched Joann's but that was a no. Does anybody have any ideas where to get it? Oh and also does anyone know where to buy Underwires for a DD?
Blocking a cotton knit isn't a permanent thing so if you blocked it and it wasn't just the way it should be, wet it and dry it again.

JoAnn should have bias tape. It's used for lots of things in sewing. Did you ask someone? If you're unfamiliar with the stuff you probably wouldn't know to look over in the section where they have threads, there should be a display with packages of the stuff.

http://www.joann.com/search/_bias%20tape/

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-19-2013, 01:28 PM   #12
MissMurder
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Blocking a cotton knit isn't a permanent thing so if you blocked it and it wasn't just the way it should be, wet it and dry it again.

JoAnn should have bias tape. It's used for lots of things in sewing. Did you ask someone? If you're unfamiliar with the stuff you probably wouldn't know to look over in the section where they have threads, there should be a display with packages of the stuff.

http://www.joann.com/search/_bias%20tape/
I am pretty familiar with sewing so I checked near threads and ribbons first, but couldn't find it. I have asked but the people there don't seem to know what bias tape is. Guess I'll have to find a Michael's or AC Moore..
MissMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #13
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

That's just bizarre IMO. Maybe they'd know what hem facing is.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #14
nannaknits
Knitting the Flap

I shop in Joann's a lot. I have even shopped in Joann's in different states. They are all laid out similar and they carry the same notions. You will find bias tape sold in packages over by the thread and zippers. It's not with the lace and ribbons. If you ask someone at the cutting table they could point you in the right direction. Another employee in a different part of the store may not know the location of the bias tape.
nannaknits is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nannaknits For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #15
MissMurder
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by nannaknits View Post
I shop in Joann's a lot. I have even shopped in Joann's in different states. They are all laid out similar and they carry the same notions. You will find bias tape sold in packages over by the thread and zippers. It's not with the lace and ribbons. If you ask someone at the cutting table they could point you in the right direction. Another employee in a different part of the store may not know the location of the bias tape.
I just came back from Joann's and I have looked in that section already. That's where I asked someone the first time was the cutting table and the woman seem absolutely confused as to what hem facing or bias tape is as if i made the names out of nowhere. Thank you Nana.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:40 PM   #16
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Thank you for all who helped. I don't think I'll block it though since i've never blocked anything before, don't want to screw it up and the only person who will see it in it's entirety will be my husband... I still don't know where to find Bias tape of any kind, I searched Joann's but that was a no. Does anybody have any ideas where to get it? Oh and also does anyone know where to buy Underwires for a DD?
I'd check your local fabric/sewing store for bias tape and underwires. The store chain I have down here in MS is Hancock Fabrics. They carry darn near everything. And I'd also recommend adding short rows to the cups. Being a DD myself, the pattern as shown in the photo might cover 1/4 of what I need it to cover.

Happy knitting!

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justplaincharlotte For This Useful Post:
MissMurder (08-20-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 11:46 PM   #17
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Ah, Charlotte, I sympathize. I looked at the pattern the first time I saw it, laughed and moved on. Translating to DDD wasn't gonna happen. It's a lovely set, I'd love to be able to wear something like that.

The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (08-20-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 08:33 AM   #18
MissMurder
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by justplaincharlotte View Post
I'd check your local fabric/sewing store for bias tape and underwires. The store chain I have down here in MS is Hancock Fabrics. They carry darn near everything. And I'd also recommend adding short rows to the cups. Being a DD myself, the pattern as shown in the photo might cover 1/4 of what I need it to cover.

Happy knitting!
Oh no this bra wasn't going to be for me, I was going to make it for my sister and she's not nearly big in the chest like I am. I'll try Local thank you very much
Old 08-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #19
MissMurder
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Ah, Charlotte, I sympathize. I looked at the pattern the first time I saw it, laughed and moved on. Translating to DDD wasn't gonna happen. It's a lovely set, I'd love to be able to wear something like that.
Ok so maybe you can answer me this GG, are a DD and E the same or no? I have been told I'm an E very recently and also a DD and both fit the same on me, so is there a difference?
Old 08-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #20
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Ok so maybe you can answer me this GG, are a DD and E the same or no? I have been told I'm an E very recently and also a DD and both fit the same on me, so is there a difference?
After a point IMO it's all super industrial strength support structure. I think that's how it works. E = DD, F = DDD and OMG do I feel sorry for anyone who might need larger than that comes next.

Since it's a gift, I think I might try blocking it just to give it that brand new gift look. Things always look so nice brand new and fresh out of the package.