Old 08-21-2013, 11:01 PM   #1
yarnrainbow
1st Leg of the Journey

Need help understanding chart
I'm getting ready to start the Rene cardigan pattern for my mom in size 3X and I am confused about how to read the charts.

Below is the chart for the back, for which you cast on 157 stitches. The way I'm reading the instructions, you start row 1 with the stitch in red, go left to the end of the row (49 sts) then repeat the entire row once (58 sts) , and then start at the beginning of row 1 (right-hand side of chart) and end with the stitch in pink (50 sts). That works for the odd (RS) rows because it gives you 157 sts (equal to the cast-on number for size 3X).

However, when it comes to the even (WS) rows, I know I'm not understanding something. Using the same instructions and the fact that the even-numbered rows are to be read left-to-right, I start counting at the stitch in dark blue, go right to the end of the row (9 sts), then repeat the entire row once (58 sts) , and then start at the beginning of row 2 (left-hand side of chart) and end with the stitch in turquoise (8 sts). That's only 75 sts. What am I not understanding?
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rene back chart resized.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	56952  Click image for larger version

Name:	Rene back chart notes.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	56953  Click image for larger version

Name:	Rene back chart legend.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	56954  

Last edited by yarnrainbow : 08-22-2013 at 12:49 AM.
yarnrainbow is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-22-2013, 05:29 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,422 Times in 3,101 Posts
Thanks for giving us the chart in such an easy to read size chart.
There are two things. I don't know what the directions are for the blue circles (edge sts?) but if you use them the same way as the red and pink you would start at the turquoise, read all the way to the end of row on the right, repeat the entire row once, left to right and then read from the beginning of chart on the left to the dk blue circle (159sts).
But that would throw off the stitch pattern and the stitch count (by2sts). It seems to me that on the wrong side row (row 2), start at the stitch above the pink circle and go the the end of chart on the right, repeat the entire row once, left to right and then read from the beginning of chart on the left to the stitch above the red circle.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
yarnrainbow
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
Thanks for giving us the chart in such an easy to read size chart.
Was this sarcasm? Because I made the chart as large as I could and still keep it within the parameters for posting pics on the site. And if you click on it, it opens larger. Sorry if it wasn't readable.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,422 Times in 3,101 Posts
The chart was perfect! That's what I was honestly trying to compliment you on. I did open the chart larger and had no trouble reading it.