Old 08-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
KnittinGal
Ribbing the Cuff

Yarn substitute
Hi there!

Sometime soon, I would really like to knit the "Lush and Lacy Cardigan" by SweaterBabe, and I had a question about yarn substitution.

The pattern calls for a worsted-weight angora/wool blend yarn, weight category 4. However, I have two sweater-vests, and both are for cooler weather. I'd like something for spring or summer, and it appears that the cardigan might be a good choice...except for the wool. Does anyone have any suggestions as to substituting yarn/fiber? Wouldn't cotton be cooler?

All this assuming I can get gauge, of course...

Thanks!

"Who shall find a valiant woman? far and from the uttermost coasts is the price of her...she will render him good, and not evil, all the days of her life. She hath sought wool and flax, and hath wrought by the counsel of her hands...her fingers have taken hold of the spindle. Favor is deceitful and beauty is vain: the woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised." ~Proverbs 31
KnittinGal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KnittinGal For This Useful Post:
xhcfztcnpp (09-08-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
RochesterKnitter
Turning the Heel

Yes, cotton would be cooler.

Wool is insulating. Acrylic does not breathe.

You can search Ravelry, Yarndex or other yarn databases by weight and fiber to look for possible substitutions
RochesterKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RochesterKnitter For This Useful Post:
KnittinGal (08-23-2013)
Old 08-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,500 Times in 3,175 Posts
That's a very pretty sweater. I'm never completely happy with all cotton yarn. At a worsted weight, it seems to heavy. Maybe a wool cotton blend would lighten it a bit and give you the added spring of wool? This kind of project is when you really appreciate a good LYS where you can touch the yarn.
justplaincharlotte (08-28-2013), KnittinGal (08-23-2013)
Old 08-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
KnittinGal
Ribbing the Cuff

I was thinking about Hobby Lobby's "I Love This Cotton", simply because it is inexpensive. I used it for one of my vests, and so far I am happy with it. It's an Aran weight...would that be lighter than worsted??

I will look into wool/cotton blends, though. Thanks for the ideas!

"Who shall find a valiant woman? far and from the uttermost coasts is the price of her...she will render him good, and not evil, all the days of her life. She hath sought wool and flax, and hath wrought by the counsel of her hands...her fingers have taken hold of the spindle. Favor is deceitful and beauty is vain: the woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised." ~Proverbs 31

Last edited by KnittinGal : 08-23-2013 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Additional information :)
Old 08-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #5
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,248 Times in 2,744 Posts
Is this it? #70 Lush and Lacy Cardigan That's really pretty. What about a bamboo blend? I think I've read that it's good for warmer weather.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
KnittinGal (08-23-2013)
Old 08-23-2013, 10:31 PM   #6
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by KnittinGal View Post
It's an Aran weight...would that be lighter than worsted??
Aran is a tad heavier than worsted.
If your budget can stand it, you might look into something silk-blended or something like Knitpicks Comfy, which is cotton with 25% acrylic. If the pattern can stand DK weight (which might be better for spring anyhow) you could look into cotton/linen blend. Another thing to remember is that cotton doesn't always hold very deep or bright colors well, so you might want prints or pastels.
KnittinGal (08-23-2013)
Old 08-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #7
KnittinGal
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Is this it? #70 Lush and Lacy Cardigan
Indeed it is! I really love it.

Bamboo hadn't really crossed my mind, but I'll check it out. I would be really happy if I could have a hand-knit, warmer-weather sweater! Right now, I find myself thinking, "Is it fall yet?!? I wanna wear my knitted garments!"

Old 08-27-2013, 11:17 PM   #8
KnittinGal
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Becky Morgan View Post
Aran is a tad heavier than worsted.
If your budget can stand it, you might look into something silk-blended or something like Knitpicks Comfy, which is cotton with 25% acrylic. If the pattern can stand DK weight (which might be better for spring anyhow) you could look into cotton/linen blend. Another thing to remember is that cotton doesn't always hold very deep or bright colors well, so you might want prints or pastels.
Sounds like KnitPicks Comfy is a possibility! One quick question...will the acrylic in the yarn cause it to get fuzzy and worn-looking more quickly? I made a book cover recently out of all-acrylic yarn, and it is already rather rough-looking. Granted, it is 100% acrylic. Maybe the small amount in KP's Comfy won't make any difference...?

Thank you all for your help!