Old 08-25-2013, 02:12 AM   #11
sissyv
1st Leg of the Journey

I guess it depends on what you are making- I knit a lot of blankets and instead of circulars I have a wooden tip set with plastic ends- they are straight but hold lots of stitches and they work great instead of circs for straight projects with lots of stitches. I too have pain when I knit and I have huge knots in my shoulders because of poor posture while I knit and a lot of hand/ finger pain. I have come to the conclusion that its secondary because it relaxes me and I push through because I like the end result. Voltaren Emulgel is wonderful stuff!
sissyv is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #12
claireweber
Working the Gusset

In case anyone is wondering:

Voltaren Emulgel
Old 08-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #13
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,642 Times in 7,044 Posts
Originally Posted by claireweber View Post

Voltaren Emulgel
Just because you can buy this on the internet doesn't mean it's safe for you. It's in a class of drugs called NSAIDs and should be discussed with your doctor before you buy/use it as it could cause interractions with other medications.

http://www.rxlist.com/voltaren-gel-drug.htm

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (08-25-2013), justplaincharlotte (08-26-2013), salmonmac (08-26-2013)
Old 08-25-2013, 04:52 PM   #14
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,740 Times in 2,306 Posts

Voltaren Emulgel
Thanks for the link. I'd looked it up and found it was a topical NSAID but didn't think to post it here. Voltaren Emulgel sounds like a wizard in Harry Potter!

Because I was curious about what it really does for me I stopped taking coconut oil for 4 or 5 days and started feeling pain in my thighs from riding my "shopping car" which is an adult tricycle and great for local shopping. I started taking the CO again and voila! back to no pain.

You can't knit the left sock first. Ever.
GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Jan in CA (08-25-2013)
Old 08-25-2013, 10:21 PM   #15
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Because I was curious about what it really does for me I stopped taking coconut oil for 4 or 5 days and started feeling pain in my thighs from riding my "shopping car" which is an adult tricycle and great for local shopping. I started taking the CO again and voila! back to no pain.

So I'm guessing coconut oil has anti-inflammatory qualities? DH likes to use it for cooking, and it is one of the ingredients I use when making granola.

I use fish oil, turmeric and serrapeptase to ward off inflammation.

Anything that is ingested carries a potential for risk, food and natural supplements included. DH stopped using fish oil due to a number of studies showing possible risk for prostate cancer, along with an undesirable impact on his immune system.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #16
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,642 Times in 7,044 Posts
I take coconut oil every day. I put it in my coffee inthe morning.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:26 PM   #17
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

So I'm guessing coconut oil has anti-inflammatory qualities? DH likes to use it for cooking, and it is one of the ingredients I use when making granola.

Anything that is ingested carries a potential for risk, food and natural supplements included. DH stopped using fish oil due to a number of studies showing possible risk for prostate cancer, along with an undesirable impact on his immune system.

Virgin coconut oil is supposed to have anti-inflammatory properties. I think it's possible to find a claim that it's good for anything that might ail you. There is probably a counter-claim for each one. I can only say from personal experience that it seems to help me. I take about 1 1/2 tsp. in coffee in the morning. That's a guesstimate measure, I don't measure it carefully and exactly. I also use turmeric and MSM.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:47 PM   #18
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Wow! In coffee, I've never heard of such a thing, going to have to try that. Does it impart much of a flavor? If so, how would you describe it?
Old 08-26-2013, 12:01 AM   #19
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

I wouldn't say it's got much flavor at all. Getting used to oily coffee was the only tricky part.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:56 AM   #20
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

The most recent study, by Brasky, et al, was a very poorly designed study. It was retrospective and the control group was flawed. It was a very controversial study among us in the medical community and was essentially laughed at by urologists.

The media is constantly trumpeting alarming "findings" and misleading the public. It drives us doctors crazy! Once a misleading headline comes out (because today's journalistic standards are so low, they probably don't have anybody do any fact checking, or even have people who can tell whether a study is well-designed or not) then we have to do damage control and try to get people back on their medicines or supplements.

Fish oil in reasonable amounts, that would be 1000-2000 mg daily, has been shown to help prevent dementia, help with inflammation, and may help prevent heart disease. Heart disease, hands down, is the largest killer of Americans today. It kills FAR more people than prostate cancer!

The best thing your DH can do is discuss it with his doctor, not Dr. Google and see what he/she says. If his doctor is well-informed, he will tell DH what to do that would be best for him. I have my DH take fish oil every day!

Sorry to get on my soapbox, but the media does a lot of damage with their overzealous reporting on poorly designed studies.
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jinxnit55 For This Useful Post:
DogCatMom (09-19-2013)