Old 08-28-2013, 10:52 PM   #1
MrsJacks
Casting On

"Beithe" Shawl
From Knitty Deep Fall 2012. I love this pattern. I love lace charts. The only problem? I can't decipher this darn chart! This is the chart. I understand all of the symbols. The problem is that there isn't a single description in the pattern itself somewhat educating the knitter on how to work the chart. Most patterns with an accompanying chart will say, "this is the x-number of stitches repeat and you'll repeat it this number of times" or "you will work each row of the chart twice per row".

I'm assuming the portion in the purple box is the pattern repeat, but is column 21 the center stitch and after that you work columns 22-39 after the center stitch, using the same pattern repeat from the purple box? I got so irritated trying to summon my chart reading mojo that I cast-on for another shawl, but I really don't like being licked by a pattern. I shan't be defeated! I was just wondering if maybe another set of eyeballs on the pattern could help me clarify how I work those rows. I would certainly appreciate any input here!
MrsJacks is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-29-2013, 12:16 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,644 Times in 7,046 Posts
In looking at the picture and the chart it looks like it's just done once?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:57 AM   #3
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by MrsJacks View Post
From Knitty Deep Fall 2012. I love this pattern. I love lace charts. The only problem? I can't decipher this darn chart! This is the chart. I understand all of the symbols. The problem is that there isn't a single description in the pattern itself somewhat educating the knitter on how to work the chart. Most patterns with an accompanying chart will say, "this is the x-number of stitches repeat and you'll repeat it this number of times" or "you will work each row of the chart twice per row".

I'm assuming the portion in the purple box is the pattern repeat, but is column 21 the center stitch and after that you work columns 22-39 after the center stitch, using the same pattern repeat from the purple box? I got so irritated trying to summon my chart reading mojo that I cast-on for another shawl, but I really don't like being licked by a pattern. I shan't be defeated! I was just wondering if maybe another set of eyeballs on the pattern could help me clarify how I work those rows. I would certainly appreciate any input here!
Yes, it's late. It looks like you knit column 1, then repeat columns 2-20 17 times, then knit columns 21-39. The shawl is beautiful.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:26 AM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,126 Times in 2,835 Posts
Originally Posted by claireweber View Post
Yes, it's late. It looks like you knit column 1, then repeat columns 2-20 17 times, then knit columns 21-39. The shawl is beautiful.
I agree on both the pattern repeat and the beauty of the shawl. The center column is 20 (it has the centered double decrease in the later rows). The pattern will give you half leaf motifs at the ends which won't use the center stitch.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
MrsJacks
Casting On

Thank you all so much for your help! Just as soon as I finish up "Glam Shells" I will try and cast on for "Beithe" again
MrsJacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:42 AM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,126 Times in 2,835 Posts
I had to investigate a pattern with funny name. Thanks so much for mentioning "Glam Shells", it's lovely.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/glam-shells
I'd love to see a photo of your finished shawl.
claireweber (09-01-2013), GrumpyGramma (08-31-2013), justplaincharlotte (08-31-2013)