Old 08-26-2013, 02:06 AM   #21
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Just because you can buy this on the internet doesn't mean it's safe for you. It's in a class of drugs called NSAIDs and should be discussed with your doctor before you buy/use it as it could cause interractions with other medications.

http://www.rxlist.com/voltaren-gel-drug.htm
You are right, Jan! The link for this on Amazon is interesting, it must be a weaker version of the prescription Voltaren gel (which IS wonderful stuff, I agree, but still a drug that can cause side effects).
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jinxnit55 For This Useful Post:
duetarguene (08-28-2013), Jan in CA (08-26-2013), xhcfztcnpp (09-08-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #22
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,730 Times in 7,103 Posts
I don't like coconutty coffee so I use the expeller pressed type. There is no flavor. You can use a frother to mix the oily I to the coffee, but I don't mind the oil on top. It makes your lips super soft! I use about 1 tablespoon a day.

@Jinxknit- I've heard that the Voltaren is good for knees, but my arthritis is in my spine/neck. Plus I'm being treated for BP so I'm cautious. I'll as my doc, but I'm afraid I don't have much faith in them most of the time. :/

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #23
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
I don't like coconutty coffee so I use the expeller pressed type. There is no flavor. You can use a frother to mix the oily I to the coffee, but I don't mind the oil on top. It makes your lips super soft! I use about 1 tablespoon a day.

@Jinxknit- I've heard that the Voltaren is good for knees, but my arthritis is in my spine/neck. Plus I'm being treated for BP so I'm cautious. I'll as my doc, but I'm afraid I don't have much faith in them most of the time. :/
Jan, I use it in my neck and upper shoulders (traps), but only if I'm having a really bad day. It works well for any arthritic part, and it doesn't smell awful. But my copay even w/ insurance was $50. It was a 100 gram tube and I've had it for a year, it's about half used up. I love ibuprofen but it makes me bruise like crazy; also tough on stomach and kidneys. Between good posture, ergonomic remodel at work, stretching/yoga, Voltaren and Cymbalta I'm a much happier camper.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #24
ABC's Mom
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by jinxnit55 View Post
Jan, I use it in my neck and upper shoulders (traps), but only if I'm having a really bad day. It works well for any arthritic part, and it doesn't smell awful. But my copay even w/ insurance was $50. It was a 100 gram tube and I've had it for a year, it's about half used up. I love ibuprofen but it makes me bruise like crazy; also tough on stomach and kidneys. Between good posture, ergonomic remodel at work, stretching/yoga, Voltaren and Cymbalta I'm a much happier camper.
Amen to the kidney part!! As a well seasoned dialysis nurse we all avoid NSAIDS if we can due to the damage it does to the kidneys. I do admit taking them once in awhile for headaches, or currently for the pain I'm having with a new crown. But never more than once a day and only if I have to. Really want to keep the old kidneys working as they should.
ABC's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:57 PM   #25
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by ABC's Mom View Post
Amen to the kidney part!! As a well seasoned dialysis nurse we all avoid NSAIDS if we can due to the damage it does to the kidneys. I do admit taking them once in awhile for headaches, or currently for the pain I'm having with a new crown. But never more than once a day and only if I have to. Really want to keep the old kidneys working as they should.
Yeah, people don't realize what NSAIDs can do to their kidneys (or their stomachs).
Old 08-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #26
claireweber
Working the Gusset

In my younger days, I used to use Ibuprofen monthly for a period of two to three days. At the time my PCP had told me that up to 1800 units per day were safe, @Jinx, I am curious, do you know what the possible issues could be with this?
Old 08-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #27
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,004 Times in 2,517 Posts
Sometimes I think I'm really, really lucky that I can't take most drugs. Ibuprofen makes me higher than a kite. I occasionally take aspirin, acetaminophen doesn't seem to do anything for me so I skip it. I know someone who developed kidney cancer, they removed her kidney then 4 yrs later found it had metastasized throughout her body. I suspect her use of arthritis medications and NSAIDs were a contributing factor. She and her son have both had spinal fusion surgery and were told not to take ibuprofen because it inhibits bone growth but aspirin was OK.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #28
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by claireweber View Post
In my younger days, I used to use Ibuprofen monthly for a period of two to three days. At the time my PCP had told me that up to 1800 units per day were safe, @Jinx, I am curious, do you know what the possible issues could be with this?
If you've had labwork since that shows normal kidney function then you wouldn't have anything to worry about. You'd generally have to take 2400 mg a day for quite some time, a couple of months, say, drink a lot of alcohol with it, get dehydrated, etc., but it CAN damage kidneys over time.

Case in point: I had a patient with pretty severe endometriosis who took 800 mg ibuprofen 3 x a day for a couple of years. She wound up getting a hysterectomy, but, by the time I began seeing her she had mild kidney failure and had to be very careful to keep her blood pressure low, watch salt, and drink plenty of fluids.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #29
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
My guess would be your tension level, that is to say...you're nervous, and you're holding those circs with a tense grip.

But in the end...knit with whatever type of needle best suits you.

If you must knit something in-the-round using circs...try other methods of knitting with circs in-the-round. I personally use the two-circs method of knitting in-the-round on small diameter things. I'm much less tense. I switch to a single 24" circ as soon as possible.

I use one 24" Harmony circ and one 24" Nickel-plated for my two circs. The NP hold the first half of the stitches, the Harmony holds the last half of the stitches. No confusion where the round begins and ends.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #30
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Hello ad2knit - This arrived in my mailbox today, thought you might be interested.

19 Patterns for Straight Knitting Needles
Woofens (09-17-2013)