Old 09-04-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
BABEDOO
Casting On

PRO KNITTER WANTED: HELP DECIPHER MY RAGLAN SWEATER WITH ASYMMETRICAL BUTTON SEAM PATTERN
HELLO KNITTERS ,

I have taken on a new Raglan Sleeve Pullover Sweater in a checked seed stitch pattern which has an asymmetrical button seam along the turtle neck. I have knit the back and almost the entire front, but I am having trouble with the final neck shaping as I can't figure out how it will come together as a asymmetrical button seam. I have redone it 3 times now and I would love someone with more experience then I who can validate what I have done or tell me how to do it properly. I have never done a raglan sleeve before either so it may just be my ignorance in this area.

I have written out the actual pattern section that I am having trouble with and will also attach a pdf of the entire pattern with a picture at the end of my post.

ACTUALLY PATTERN INSTRUCTIONS FOR NECK SHAPING

RS Next Row - k2, k2tog, k10, join second ball of yarn and bind off center 11 sts, work to last 4 sts, ssk, k2. Working both sides at once continue armhole shaping, AT SAME TIME, bind off from each neck edge 4 sts once, 3 sts once, 2 sts once. After all decreases have been worked, fasten off last stitch each side.

MY INTERPRETATION OF THE ABOVE INSTRUCTIONS

RS Row 1 - k2, k2tog, k10, additional ball of yarn is joined so that I have two active yarns, bind of center 11 stitches with new yarn added, k to last 4 sts, ssk, k2.

Row 2 and 3 - Bind off 4 sts, k to end of 1st half, with 2nd yarn k to last 4 sts, ssk, k2

Row 4 and 5 - Bind off 3 sts, k to end of 1st half, with 2nd yarn k to last 4 sts, ssk, k2

Row 6 and 7 - Bind off 2 sts, k to end of 1st half, with 2nd yarn k to last 4 sts, ssk, k2

WS Row 8 - Bind off final remaining stitch of 1st half, with 2nd yarn bind off final remaining stitch

* Notes * If I do not add the ssk, k2 at the end of each row, I end up with 4 or 5 stitches remaining when I am supposed to be binding off the final stitch. I also tried binding off the stitches in the same rows, for example Row 2 - Bind off 4 sts, k to end of 1st half, with 2nd yarn bind off 4 sts and k to end. Row 3 - Bind off 3 sts, k to end of 1st half, with 2nd yarn bind off 3 sts and k to end and so on. This didn't look right to me, so I then adopted the above method.

QUESTIONS I REALLY NEED ANSWERED

When doing the neck shaping, should I continue with the checked seed stitch pattern used over this entire sweater or should I have just done the knit stitches?

Do I have this pattern done correctly in the neck shaping section?

Can you send me a link or an example of what this front piece should look like before it is sewn together as I can't seem to figure out how it fits together to make this asymmetrical button band?

Attached below is a copy of my pattern, I really need an old pro's help here. I know I have many questions, but if you would kindly look at the pdf and give me your expert assessment I would really appreciate it.

Thanks, Babedoo
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	25.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	57004  Click image for larger version

Name:	62.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	57005  
BABEDOO is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-04-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,285 Times in 2,972 Posts
Let's work on the raglan sleeve and neck shaping first.

RS Row 1 - k2, k2tog, k10, additional ball of yarn is joined so that I have two active yarns, bind of center 11 stitches with new yarn added, k to last 4 sts, ssk, k2. OK, this sounds right.
WS Row 2 work the right shoulder, drop the yarn, pick up the yarn for the left shoulder and at the neck edge of the left shoulder, bind off 4sts and work to the end.
RS Row 3, k2, k2tog, work to the neck edge, drop the yarn, pick up the yarn for the right shoulder and bind off 4sts, work to the last 4sts, ssk, k2,
WS Row 4 work the right shoulder, drop the yarn, pick up the yarn for the left shoulder and at the neck end of the left shoulder, bind off 3 sts and work to end.
The pattern continues is this way with the bind offs at the neck edge and the k2tog or ssk at the shoulder edges. Keep up the check pattern stitch as well as you can even with the bind offs and decreases. It continues into the neck shaping. The asymmetric neck only comes up when you sew together the raglan seams. You'll leave one seam open for the crocheted button and buttonband. You don't have to worry about that as you knit the front and sleeves.

It might be better to edit the title of your post to caps and lower case. The upper case is interpreted as shouting.