Old 09-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
KnittinGal
Ribbing the Cuff

Stockinette stitch help
The "uneven stockinette stitch" bug has bitten me.

I've done a little reading about this problem. You know - where some stitches in stockinette are looser than others, and the fabric looks...kinda...stripey, when it's definitely not supposed to?! "Rowing out"?

I just started knitting this cardigan with a very pretty light-purple cotton-blend yarn. I haven't had this tension problem too much before, only once in a while. But for some strange reason, even though this pattern shouldn't be this difficult, I'm having major problems. It's almost like the more I try to keep my tension the same, the worse it gets. I have tried using a smaller needle for the purl rows, but it seems to be making the problem only worse.

If you can help, I would really appreciate it. It seems like such a simple thing to fix....*sigh*

"Who shall find a valiant woman? far and from the uttermost coasts is the price of her...she will render him good, and not evil, all the days of her life. She hath sought wool and flax, and hath wrought by the counsel of her hands...her fingers have taken hold of the spindle. Favor is deceitful and beauty is vain: the woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised." ~Proverbs 31

Last edited by KnittinGal : 09-06-2013 at 12:52 PM. Reason: adding some information
KnittinGal is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
WolfWalker
Ribbing the Cuff

If using smaller needles for your purl rows is making the problem more apparent, then perhaps you are purling tighter than you are knitting......try using smaller needles on your knit rows, or use a tad larger needles on your purl rows to see if that helps even things out.

Debra in NC
WolfWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WolfWalker For This Useful Post:
KnittinGal (09-06-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,138 Times in 2,647 Posts
Is this an ongoing problem or just this knitting session? Either way, if you work on something else for a while that you can relax more with and come back to this after a break, that might help. I can see where the "gotta get this right" thing could cause me problems I shouldn't have.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (09-07-2013), KnittinGal (09-06-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
KnittinGal
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you both!

WolfWalker, I wondered about that. I will try it with some practice yarn.

GrumpyGramma, it seems to be a problem that happened occasionally, but not as often as it has in this project. Usually I will end up with only a row or two that is looser. I'm only about 4 1/2 inches into this cardigan, and it's already looking messier than normal.

I do tend to knit tightly. I wondered if maybe I am trying to knit looser than I normally would for the purpose of the pattern gauge, and that's messing me up??

Maybe I ought to put this project aside until I can get this fixed.
I appreciate your help!

"Who shall find a valiant woman? far and from the uttermost coasts is the price of her...she will render him good, and not evil, all the days of her life. She hath sought wool and flax, and hath wrought by the counsel of her hands...her fingers have taken hold of the spindle. Favor is deceitful and beauty is vain: the woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised." ~Proverbs 31
Old 09-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,138 Times in 2,647 Posts
When I try to knit looser I notice a difference so I'd say that could definitely be part of it. I'm working overall on looser and more even stitches so I've got a one row blanket going that it won't matter so much if there are some looser or tighter stitches, I need the practice. I'm doing a pair of socks too. They're in stockinette and 2x2 rib, my DS won't complain if some of the stitches are a little wonky. I worked a cable bag and frogged it for the same reasons you've cited.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
KnittinGal (09-06-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,433 Times in 3,112 Posts
It may be something about this particular yarn that's emphasizing slight differences between knit and purl rows. i notice rowing out more with cotton yarn too.
I find that it's very difficult to be consistent when you try to purposely knit more tightly or more loosely. That kind of very even tension comes with practice.
It may be easier to try to adjust with slightly different needle sizes although the difference you're noticing may be too minor.
i thnk the above suggestions have just about covered every
thing mentioned here but maybe it helps to know that you're not alone.
http://techknitting.blogspot.com/200...w-to-tame.html
KnittinGal (09-06-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

The best cure I've ever found for rowing out is a trip through the laundry. A whole lot of unevenness shakes out in the wash.
GrumpyGramma (09-06-2013), justplaincharlotte (09-07-2013), KnittinGal (09-07-2013), Woofens (09-06-2013)
Old 09-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #8
KnittinGal
Ribbing the Cuff

Yes, I had heard that that was a good trick. My swatch looked better when it came out of the washer, but it didn't look perfect.

Did I mention that I want this cardigan to be PERFECT?