Old 09-08-2013, 11:16 PM   #11
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by artsy1 View Post
i've never had snagging or unscrewing with either my chiaogoos or dreamz, but i also have never used the finer yarns- i would think the chiaogoo lace tips would be worth trying
I have some fixed Dreamz and I really like them. I also like my fixed circular Harmony KnitPicks. But after the yarn snagging debacle w/ the Harmony Interchangeables (not the first time it happened, but the WORST), and also having the shaft of the needles slip out of the metal casing, I 've sort of had it with interchangeables. It's good to hear that other folks don't have trouble, maybe I'll try some different ones. Everybody on the Ravelry poll seems to like the DyaKcraft, but they are pricey and backordered for 6 months!!! I might try dreams, Hiyahiyas or Chiagoos.
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-08-2013, 11:20 PM   #12
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
You want to be sure the tip is securely fastened to the cable. I learned here to use a piece of grippy shelf liner to hold onto the tip and and use the key to tighten it. I don't have problems with yarn getting into a gap.
GG, I swear they are screwed in all the way. Within 20 minutes, one always backs out a thread or two, and the yarn plunges into it and gets stuck. I told myself, "Self, if I have to deal with this throughout the entire cowl I will go bonkers!" I started my cowl on a Harmony fixed circular today and am happily halfway done!
Old 09-08-2013, 11:35 PM   #13
artsy1
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by jinxnit55 View Post
GG, I swear they are screwed in all the way. Within 20 minutes, one always backs out a thread or two, and the yarn plunges into it and gets stuck. I told myself, "Self, if I have to deal with this throughout the entire cowl I will go bonkers!" I started my cowl on a Harmony fixed circular today and am happily halfway done!
i have mixed feeling on the dynacraft- basically customer service, and i am the impatient kind of person- waiting that long just isn't acceptable to me, one of the best places to buy is handsomefibers.com, they don't have hiya's but have dreamz and chiaogoo- and 10% off for returning customers and incredibly fast shipping- usually 2 - 3 days, which works for me-
artsy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to artsy1 For This Useful Post:
jinxnit55 (09-08-2013), N0obKnitter (09-11-2013)
Old 09-08-2013, 11:48 PM   #14
claireweber
Working the Gusset

I have one cable and set of needles for the chiaogoo, I had problems with them coming unscrewed, but will have to try GG's technique. I've had problems with my Addi Turbo interchangeables in the smaller sizes, snagging. I really like the fixed chiaogoo circulars in the smaller sizes, they seemed really pointy at first, but now I'm accustomed to them. And I like the Addi lace fixed circulars in the smaller sizes. My two cents, I haven't tried a lot of different needles.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:53 PM   #15
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by artsy1 View Post
i have mixed feeling on the dynacraft- basically customer service, and i am the impatient kind of person- waiting that long just isn't acceptable to me, one of the best places to buy is handsomefibers.com, they don't have hiya's but have dreamz and chiaogoo- and 10% off for returning customers and incredibly fast shipping- usually 2 - 3 days, which works for me-
I hear you, I am an "instant gratification" kinda gal!
Old 09-09-2013, 01:07 AM   #16
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by claireweber View Post
I have one cable and set of needles for the chiaogoo, I had problems with them coming unscrewed, but will have to try GG's technique. I've had problems with my Addi Turbo interchangeables in the smaller sizes, snagging. I really like the fixed chiaogoo circulars in the smaller sizes, they seemed really pointy at first, but now I'm accustomed to them. And I like the Addi lace fixed circulars in the smaller sizes. My two cents, I haven't tried a lot of different needles.
I tend to knit with the smaller needles and a lot of sets seem to have larger sizes. Hate to buy a set with needles that I won't use, but, who knows? I might suddenly start using larger sizes. I guess it's good to have options, but so far I've been dabbling in different types, just Clover (which I still like for some things), KnitPicks, and Dreamz. I got one pair of plastic things that I hated, can't remember the brand now.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:26 AM   #17
Lorraine3289
1st Leg of the Journey

hiya hiya interchangeables
I have 3 different needle tips (smaller sizes) and 2 cables and have not had any problems with them coming unscrewed or yarn snagging. They seem to offer the smallest sized needle tips too which is a big bonus as I, like others have mentioned, don't have much call for larger sized needles. If I need to add extra sizes then I will happily go with hiya hiya.
jinxnit55 (09-09-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 10:49 AM   #18
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,989 Times in 2,507 Posts
Are you a tight knitter? I was, and I did have my tips coming unscrewed from the cables more often. I can understand why it would be this way but can't explain it. Since I've loosened up my knitting it rarely happens anymore. If tight knitting is involved my guess is that with any brand that things screw together you'll have the same problem.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #19
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Are you a tight knitter? I was, and I did have my tips coming unscrewed from the cables more often. I can understand why it would be this way but can't explain it. Since I've loosened up my knitting it rarely happens anymore. If tight knitting is involved my guess is that with any brand that things screw together you'll have the same problem.
When I first began knitting my tension was pretty tight, but now....I am one loose knitter
Old 09-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #20
Woofens
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Woofens Send a message via MSN to Woofens Send a message via Yahoo to Woofens Send a message via Skype™ to Woofens
Originally Posted by claireweber View Post
When I first began knitting my tension was pretty tight, but now....I am one loose knitter

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Woofens

The only difference between an experienced knitter and new knitter is that the experienced knitter makes bigger mistakes faster. Be bold; there are no terrible consequences in knitting.

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

OTN:
Blocks in Blocks Afgan for Taz
Pet snuggles for charity
BonBons fingerless mitts for Sarah
Dorm socks for Skye-finished
Dallas Cowboys Man Hat for John-finished
and as always, dish cloths.
Woofens is offline   Reply With Quote