Old 09-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #21
Woofens
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Woofens Send a message via MSN to Woofens Send a message via Yahoo to Woofens Send a message via Skype™ to Woofens
Thanks GG. I'll check it out!

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Woofens

The only difference between an experienced knitter and new knitter is that the experienced knitter makes bigger mistakes faster. Be bold; there are no terrible consequences in knitting.

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

OTN:
Blocks in Blocks Afgan for Taz
Pet snuggles for charity
BonBons fingerless mitts for Sarah
Dorm socks for Skye-finished
Dallas Cowboys Man Hat for John-finished
and as always, dish cloths.
Woofens is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #22
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,045 Times in 2,557 Posts
Whichever direction you choose to knit your socks, I think the biggest problem knitters new to socks have is getting hung up on a pattern - the pattern is confusing to them or something else gets in the way. You might pick a method, toe up or cuff down, and try them out in a heavier yarn first. Worsted weight socks are comfy cozy house socks, that's what I used for my first pair.

We've seen beautiful examples of Olha's knitting. If someone who knits like that dreads patterns then I can understand why sock patterns are hard for less experienced knitters...and I feel better about avoiding them.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #23
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by Olha View Post
Janis, who are the socks for? Below I have listed some resources based on adult size socks. I used Yarn Harlots recipe BUT only because I was completely frustrated with trying to understand a pattern. (I dread patterns, so I won't share any ). Anyway, this recipe is not available online, it's in the book Knitting Rules by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. But there are some basic sock making resources

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/FEATsocks101.html

http://susanbanderson.blogspot.ca/20...ake-socks.html

Here is a nice tutorial for beginers, with pictures

http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Start.htm

Maybe someone here can share a favourite free pattern?
Thank you, Olha. Your knitting skills are amazing to me and I hope that one day I'll be half as good as you are. I gave up trying to figure out how to do socks with a pattern largely because I was stuck on a gauge swatch. It was the no swatch needed part that got me to looking at the Lifestyle No Swatch Needed way of doing socks. I was not interested in knitting a whole sock only to find out it didn't fit. I thought I'd figure out how to do it w/o a pattern and then I could follow a pattern. Now I can't see any reason to bother with a pattern. Exception: I want to make Skew Socks and think I will have to use a pattern.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #24
Woofens
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Woofens Send a message via MSN to Woofens Send a message via Yahoo to Woofens Send a message via Skype™ to Woofens
Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Thank you, Olha. Your knitting skills are amazing to me and I hope that one day I'll be half as good as you are. I gave up trying to figure out how to do socks with a pattern largely because I was stuck on a gauge swatch. It was the no swatch needed part that got me to looking at the Lifestyle No Swatch Needed way of doing socks. I was not interested in knitting a whole sock only to find out it didn't fit. I thought I'd figure out how to do it w/o a pattern and then I could follow a pattern. Now I can't see any reason to bother with a pattern. Exception: I want to make Skew Socks and think I will have to use a pattern.
Those are the coolest socks EVER

The only difference between an experienced knitter and new knitter is that the experienced knitter makes bigger mistakes faster. Be bold; there are no terrible consequences in knitting.

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

OTN:
Pet snuggles for charity
Old 09-09-2013, 11:11 PM   #25
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Janis, do you mean the Skew Socks? I think they need the right psychedelic colors but I might try them in something tamer first while I look for the right yarn.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:17 AM   #26
Woofens
Turning the Heel

Janis, do you mean the Skew Socks? I think they need the right psychedelic colors but I might try them in something tamer first while I look for the right yarn.
Lol. Sorry I wasn't more clear. Yes, the skew socks.

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

OTN:
Pet snuggles for charity
The Following User Says Thank You to Woofens For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (09-10-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 12:30 AM   #27
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Honestly I think what keeps me from starting them is the gauge thing. I don't think I can tell easily if the size will be right as I go along.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #28
Woofens
Turning the Heel

Honestly I think what keeps me from starting them is the gauge thing. I don't think I can tell easily if the size will be right as I go along.
My fear also, GG.

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

OTN:
Pet snuggles for charity
Old 09-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #29
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Janis, I really think you'd be happy with a sock making guide. Olha does her top down so you can tell if the cuff is the right size before you finish, I do mine toe up so I can tell if the foot fits right. Either way, you can make adjustments earlier rather than later. Pick a direction to knit and have at it. You just might (notice I said might ) get help if you ask for it here. I guess if you wanted you could sort of start in the middle and work both directions. http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=pQ8GMUMWek8

The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Woofens (09-10-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #30
Woofens
Turning the Heel

Janis, I really think you'd be happy with a sock making guide. Olha does her top down so you can tell if the cuff is the right size before you finish, I do mine toe up so I can tell if the foot fits right. Either way, you can make adjustments earlier rather than later. Pick a direction to knit and have at it. You just might (notice I said might ) get help if you ask for it here. I guess if you wanted you could sort of start in the middle and work both directions. http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=pQ8GMUMWek8
Thanks for the encouragement GG. I'm gonna watch those videos tonight. Keep your fingers crossed!!

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

OTN:
Pet snuggles for charity