Old 09-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
knitcindy
Turning the Heel

Sewing together help!!!!!
Does anyone have a book/video/dvd recommendation for how to knit a sweater from beginning to end?? I have knit about 5 sweaters but always chicken out when it comes to the seaming the pieces together!!!

I get nervous and would like some step-by-step help (and hand holding) in the sewing together department. Any ideas/recommendations?

THANKS!!!!!!
knitcindy
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,798 Times in 7,158 Posts
I don't know of a video for an entire sweater. Why don't you make a seamless one? That said...the only way to get better at seaming is to actually do it! Try making a bunch of swatches and go to the video section and practice mattress stitch. Also practice 3 needle bind off for shoulder seams. And then make more swatches and practice some more. OR use one of those sweaters for practice. What is the worst that can happen? You have a sweater that isn't seamed well and you can't wear it. Since you can't wear it now it'll be no loss, BUT maybe it'll turn out great! So get to it!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
claireweber (09-11-2013)
Old 09-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,501 Times in 3,176 Posts
When I made my first sweater I knew that i could take it to the yarn shop and pay them to seam it. But I thought, why don't i give it a try, or better yet, three tries and see what I can do. I was amazed at how well it turned out. True, I seamed the sleeve to the front edge but it was a neat looking seam before it was ripped out and done correctly.
Give it a go and if the first time doesn't work, try it again until you're happy with it. Jan's idea of seaming swatches is a good one and will let you experiment with different techniques.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
I cringed at the idea of finishing sweaters until I learned Mattress Stitch. It's amazing to see how beautiful the edges come together! (And it can be forgiving) Combined with 3-needle bind-off for the shoulders (also easy) you get some lovely seams.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:15 PM   #5
Lorraine3289
1st Leg of the Journey

I too was nervous about seaming but practiced on a few swatches and then stitched up my very first knitted jumper a few months ago. It was very rewarding to take the plung and do it rather than being paralized with the fear of seaming. Mattress stitch is actually quite easy and I pinned my seam at regular intervals and that helped too. Watch the videos and go for it.