Old 09-12-2013, 12:32 AM   #1
dogtrnr
Casting On

Need help on a pattern
Hi, I am a new knitter and working on my first garment. It is a bottom up, V-neck tank, worked in the round...Easy V-Neck Shell by Diana Jordan, to be exact. I was doing fine until I got to the neck shaping instructions. It says, starting with rs, knit 49 stitches, k2tog, bind off 4, ssk, knit remaining 49 stitches. I'm all good with that. Then, it says to "continue decreasing 1 stitch at each neck edge on every row until 16 stitches remain." I'm lost. Do I do each side of the neck separately? I assume so, otherwise, how do I bridge the increasing gap, right. Then, if I decrease EVERY row, does that mean that I p2tog on the wrong side, or do I only decrease on the knit side (rs)? I've gotten myself totally confused. Anybody ever knit this tank? Or offer any suggestions? I have emailed the designer, but as yet have gotten no response...
TIA
Kathy

Last edited by dogtrnr : 09-12-2013 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Realized this is probably posted in the wrong thread, sorry.
dogtrnr is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-12-2013, 12:58 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
I haven't done a v-neck, but I do suspect you'll have to do each side separately for the yoke.

Pattern link for helpers-
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...y-v-neck-shell

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:23 AM   #3
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,330 Times in 3,015 Posts
Thanks for the link, Jan. Yes, you'll work the two shoulders separately. You can knit them one at a time or you can join a second end of yarn to knit the second shoulder (I'm assuming that you stopped knitting in the round when you made the opening for the arms.) Yes, you'll p2tog or p2tog through the back loop on the WS since the directions say to decrease every row. That's what the pattern looks like with the shallow V neck. On the shoulder with the k2tog, use the p2tog. On the shoulder with the ssk decrease, use the p2togtbl. That'll give you a nice line of decreases up each side.
Welcome to the forum!
Old 09-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #4
dogtrnr
Casting On

Yes, thanks for linking the pattern...didn't think to do that!

Nor did I think of joining a second end of yarn...that's a good idea. Also, thanks for the tip to p2togtbl the ssk on purl side. I figured it should be something different than a regular ssk, but didn''t no what.

Ok, forward and onward (or something like that). I can do this.

Thanks for the help, Ladies.

Kathy

P.S. I've been browsing the forums and it looks like a pretty cool place to hang out!
dogtrnr is offline   Reply With Quote