Old 09-21-2013, 05:47 AM   #7311
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,424 Times in 3,103 Posts
Hi Binster and Mimsthings and welcome!
Minsthings, yes, not much information on the freedom sweater but you might try lookng for a similar top down ribbed sweater among the patterns on Ravelry (use an advanced search). I see Ironwoman who found the pattern is also on Rav and you might send her a message in case she is still active there.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/ar...p?t-94174.html

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/freedom-sweater

Hope you can track it down.
scvuzezt (10-23-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-24-2013, 08:28 AM   #7312
attaway
Casting On

Send a message via Skype™ to attaway
Hi everyone, I'm Esther, 22, from Germany - just found this site via ravelry.com and signed up straight away!
Old 09-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #7313
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Happy to have you join us Esther! It's always nice to have more members contribute to the conversation.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:36 AM   #7314
Dapablo
Casting On

Hello
Hi I'm Paul from Cornwall, UK.

Signed up looking for help reading a pattern, but after a nights sleep I think I reasoned my way forward.

Nan taught me to knit when I was a child and it's a bit like riding a bike in that context, once the basics were re-taught it's easy to then just carry on.

My last project was probably 16 years ago whilst workin away from home, a Kaffe Fasset housecoat for my lady, loads of poppies twas a fine thing.

Started a little while ago knitting again, a cardigan for my teenage daughter, a love gift it that makes sense. Got the back and two side panels completed then got completely freaked by the pattern for the arms, it just didn't make any sense.

Tried to locate the the website for the magazine "Knitting" and naturally it's vanished. April 2013 if there's a chance of anybody.

Kinda figured the way to proceed though would be measurement, use a tape and make the arms 2-3 inches longer and trust the top reduction instructions.

Hi anyway, I'll be doing more after this one so will wander around on occaision.
Dapablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:39 AM   #7315
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Hi Paul and welcome. Sounds like you had a wonderful teacher and you've gotten back to knitting in a big way. If you've solved the sleeve problem that's great. If not, give us the name of the pattern and and some details and perhaps we can offer some help.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #7316
Caora
Casting On

Hiya fellow knitters :)
I'm new! Obviously. LOL Well, not new to knitting, but new to the site. Well, new to the forum, I've used the site before for help. I'm so happy to join this community of knitters and crocheters
A big Hello Hiya to all of you!
Caora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:45 AM   #7317
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Hi to you too, Caora! Glad you could join us and looking forward to your posts.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #7318
KermodeMamma
Casting On

I can't knit!! :cry:
Hello there all! I'm very new to knitting, I can only cast on and no amount of videos or books or personal help is making me any better. I am giving up...I can cast on but after that....my stitches are too tight. I try tugging a bit like my mother in law suggested but it didn't do anything :(

Is there anyone who has any suggestions I can try?? I've been breaking down in tears every time I try to knit....
KermodeMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #7319
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,131 Times in 2,640 Posts
Hi, KermodeMamma. Knitting tight is a problem for many. You're not alone! I found that how I hold the yarn, not too tightly so that it flows through my fingers, helped a lot. Making sure I get the new stitch on the fatter part of the needle helps too. The angle at which I hold the needles in relation to each other makes a difference. I suggest some soothing music, a who cares I'm just doing this because I want to attitude and just sit for a while and see what difference trying some different things makes. Usually it seems that a death grip on the working yarn and pulling the yarn tight after making a new stitch are the main culprits. We'd love to see you succeed! One last thing: Don't start with a real project, just cast on and see if you can do some rows that you're more satisfied with.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #7320
Caora
Casting On

Hi KermodeMamma, like GrumpyGramma said, a lot of us have had this problem. When I first started I knitted so tight that if I used wood needles I could barely budge the yarn. So I switched to aluminum. Also, like GrumpyGramma said, practice practice practice. I bought a big ole thing of the cheapest yarn I could find and first did only knit stitch, then purl, then knit and purl...soon I was knitting much smoother and not so tight. I almost gave up, too. But once you find your groove it's so fun and gratifying.
Also, if you knit Continental, maybe try English. Or vise versa. Maybe? I hope it helps. We don't want you to give up. Just find your grove and you'll totally be a pro
Caora is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Caora For This Useful Post:
claireweber (10-25-2013), GrumpyGramma (10-23-2013), justplaincharlotte (11-04-2013), salmonmac (10-25-2013)