Old 10-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
N0obKnitter
Working the Gusset

interchangeable Nova?
I'm thinking long and hard about getting Nova interchangeables. I have several 40" fixed circular Nova and I them. I mean, they are my go-to for TAAT...

I have an old set of knitpicks metal ones already but I find them too sharp for regular knitting.
The Following User Says Thank You to N0obKnitter For This Useful Post:
bpatrickmyanextay1140 (10-05-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
Jemm
Ribbing the Cuff

I have the newer Options set and I'm completely smitten. I'm a new knitter and have already gone through acrylic (Trendz), then Chiaogoo fixed bamboo circulars, and finally made the right decision with the KnitPicks set at only $50 - especially after such an initial expense. I wish I had purchased those intitially.

I've read comments that the quality is not what it used to be but is still a great set for $50. The joins are smooth and not distracting, the cables are way better than Trendz at only a few dollars more, and replacement tips are free if they lose some of their coating (I've read that Addis tend to lose theirs as well). Cables available at almost every other size sold eseparately (except for 16").

The main reason for my switching over to Nickel Plated was that my wooden Chiaogoo circulars were WAY sharp and I wanted bluntness and smoothness. From what I've gathered the sharpness in the Options tips may have changed as well - I prefer the bluntness, but many Options users with the older set prefer the sharpness of that previous version. In this respect I was very pleased with the newer set.

I've heard great things about Nova set as well and it is similar to the "older" Options but if you're curious about the newer tips you could ask CS at KP about trying out one of the newer tips to see if this aspect has changed. The bluntness now for me is perfect. When I tried this set I wanted to do cartwheels. These will keep me busy for a long time before I'm ready for anything else.

Just wanted to relay this info for new knitters like myself - so many interesting threads about needles, I wish I had read some of the comments I'd read here earlier before making my first purchase.

Last edited by Jemm : 10-01-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Jemm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jemm For This Useful Post:
N0obKnitter (10-01-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
If you like them then I do t see why the interchangeable would be different. The Nova set is also nickel plated I believe. Go for it!
http://shop.knittinghelp.com/knittin...ar-deluxe-set/

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
N0obKnitter (10-01-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

I have the new interchangeable Nova Cubics- I love how they feel, and they are slightly less pointy than my KP nickel plates.

I'm with Jan, if you like what you're using, go for it.

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:39 PM   #5
Jemm
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by justplaincharlotte View Post
I have the new interchangeable Nova Cubics- I love how they feel, and they are slightly less pointy than my KP nickel plates.

I'm with Jan, if you like what you're using, go for it.

My comment was directed at the difference in sharpness between the two Options versions with the newer set being slightly more blunt in case the op was not aware. It was also directed more specifically towards newer knitters who are making a choice on interchangeables, as I'd indicated on closing.

Wasn't trying to talk the user out of the Nova, but thought she might be unaware that she could ask KP Customer Service to try out one of the new tips as well.

It was also meant to relay my thoughts between the newer set and Trendz since those were my initial purchase and thought the info might come in handy for someone else in the future. I have sets of needles staring back at me since I'd outgrown them very quickly, not to mention how much money was lost and the guilt of having other needles around when you've outgrown the ones you initially purchased.

This is the second time one of my posts was derailed upon my receiving thanks by the same member, as if I were misleading the op. I hadn't realized when I joined the forum that I'd entered a contest. Good luck Charlotte.

I really enjoyed chatting with the rest of you. You have all made me feel very welcome here. Happy Knitting everyone!
Jemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:49 AM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
I'm confused Jemm. We were all just offering our opinion and just because Charlotte agreed with me it doesn't mean anything you said was of less value. Sometimes when we read questions we understand it a bit differently and that's okay. Noob did make a comment about the points so your comment was a good one. Never hurts to give multiple viewpoints.

I like my needles nice and pointy myself. I dislike regular Addi turbos because they are too dull.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
N0obKnitter
Working the Gusset

I decided to cast on possibly a lace book mark on my options, something with a variety of stitches. It's possible my needs have changed and they will be useful to me.

I find the addi clicks kind of blunt and the join annoys me. It's all about the join!
Old 10-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #8
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,595 Posts
L love my Nova set. I think you would too.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
N0obKnitter (10-02-2013)